Year Two: Polyjuice Potion

4th January, 1993, Monday Morning

When Violet and the rest of the Hogwarts study body returned, it was with very little enthusiasm. They were too worried about what they'd be returning to, fearful of who would be attacked next by an unknown monster.

Violet and her friends departed the Hogwarts express in hushed conversation, discussing the possibility of whatever horror that had been attacking students might have been captured during their Holiday break. An unlikely scenario, they knew, but they wanted to hope.

Violet was pleasantly surprised when she walked into Hogwarts and found a certain blonde boy waiting for her. He stood to the side, leaning against the wall by the stairs that lead down to Hufflepuff house. His arms were crossed and he was staring right at her, a coy smile playing on his lips.

"We'll meet you later." Aimee said, pulling Violet's attention away from the boy.

"Yes, thanks. See you in a bit." She left her friends as they went downstairs, stopping beside Draco as he continued to stare. She dropped her bag at their feet, leaning her shoulder against the wall.

"Hey." He said, "Have a good holiday?"

"Yeah," She nodded, "I enjoyed seeing my parents. I miss them quite a bit when I'm here too long."

He huffed out a dry laugh, his eyes darting away from her, "Must be nice to have someone to miss and someone that misses you."

"Sorry, Draco, I wasn't thinking-" She knew how horrible his father was, and how little he interacted with his mother. He didn't have any real family to return home to.

"Don't." He cut her off, shaking his head, "Shouldn't have said anything."

Violet moved closer, until their arms were pressed together and faces a breath apart, "Please don't, I like it when you're honest with me. Besides, I missed you, for whatever that may be worth."

He didn't mean for it to slip out, but ever so quietly he said, "It means a lot coming from you."

She smiled warmly, then she let her head fall onto his shoulder. They watched the other students milling around, talking to their friends and heading to their separate houses. They stayed like that for a while, until the halls were empty and their legs tired from standing so long.

Finally, she straightened, unsurprised to find Draco already watching her, "So, did anything eventful happen?"

Draco hesitated for a long moment, wanting to tell someone about the odd encounter he'd had but not wanting to sound nuts either.

"What is it?" She prompted.

"Nothing, just... Goyle and Crabbe were acting odd the other day. Goyle was wearing glasses, said they were for 'reading'." Despite the skepticism in his voice, Violet couldn't help but laugh a little.

"Goyle isn't allowed to read?"

"It's not just that!" He argued, "Their voices were... different. They just weren't like themselves. They wanted to know what I thought about Potter being the Heir."

It was Violet's turn to hesitate, "What specifically did they say?"

"They asked if I knew who was behind it. I don't know how many times I have to tell them I don't know before they get it into their thick heads." Draco scoffed.

"Draco..." Violet wanted to tread carefully, a concerning thought taking root, "What sort of glasses was Goyle wearing?"

"Why's that matter?" He questioned, "They were round, I think."

"Oh, dear." Violet sighed. She was worried before holiday that Harry was going to do something dumb, but she didn't think he had it in him to do something so reckless, "Draco, I'll see you later, alright?"

She took off down the stairs, wanting to drop her things off in her dorm before tracking down Harry.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

"Harry Potter!" Violet's voice rang out through the hall as she chased the boy and his friends down. They were alone, all the other students already in the Great Hall for lunch. Harry turned around, eyes widening at the furious look on the girls face.

"Hey, Violet." He waved lamely.

"Tell me you didn't do something as stupid as disguising yourself at Goyle to interrogate Draco?!" She stopped in front of the trio, looking only at Harry. He looked to Hermione for help.

"I don't know what you think you know, Violet, but we would never..."

"Save it, Hermione." Violet took a deep breath to calm herself, "I know you think Draco is the Heir, but why would you do something so reckless? What would you have done had you been caught?" She looked at each of the three Gryffindors, waiting for a response.

"We needed to know what he knew!" Ron argued, "It's not like we can trust anything he says."

"Well trust me when I say, it's not him." She glared at the redhead, who only glared back.

"Violet, it wasn't personal." Hermione reasoned, "Does he know?"

"No, I don't think he even suspects it. After all, how would a couple of second years manage a transformation on themselves?" Violet sighed again, her anger turning to curiosity, "How did you manage it?"

"Polyjuice Potion," Hermione explained, "It took a while to brew, but it wasn't so hard."

"Impressive!" Violet was shocked. The Polyjuice Potion wasn't taught until Fourth-Year potions, so for a Second-Year to do it successfully? Though, Violet supposed that if anyone could do it, it would be Hermione.

"Thank you." Hermione smiled proudly, "Now, if that's all, we have some place to be."

Violet shrugged and turned on her heel to leave, heading towards the Great Hall for lunch.

She contemplated rather she should tell Draco what she had learned. Despite the impressive feat Hermione had with the potion, it still felt like a violation for Draco to not know who he was actually speaking to. But, on the other hand, if he knew he'd been speaking to Harry and Ron, who knew what he'd do in retaliation.

She didn't want to cause any more fighting, especially with how bad the tensions between the houses already were. So she decided not to tell her friend about what she'd learned, or anyone for that matter. If that's what it took for Harry and the others to finally believe Draco wasn't the Heir or the one behind the attacks, then fine, Violet would just let it be.