Year Two: Slytherins Prank First-Years

4th September, 1992

Violet wanted nothing more than to sleep in Friday morning. She had Astronomy until midnight with the Gryffindors the previous night, and didn't make it to bed until nearly an hour later. Despite her disdain for Professor Lockhart, and how boring she found History of Magic, Astronomy was her most hated class.

She didn't think she'd ever need to use it in her daily life, and it wasn't fair that students were forced to stay up so late then have early morning classes the following day. Everyone could see how exhausted the students were the mornings after Astronomy, so some of the professors took pity and went easy on the students whenever they had the first class of the day. Naturally, Professor Lockhart was not one of said professors.

Violet and her friends were quiet throughout breakfast, trying to rub the sleep from their eyes long enough to eat something to get them through the morning. Worse yet, their first class of the day was Defense Against the Dark Arts. Which meant an hour of listening to Lockhart teach about himself and all the girls sigh dreamily at him.

All Violet wanted was a quiet morning. So when she got to class and sat down without any harassment from the Slytherins, she was immediately suspicious.

"Hey..." She looked around the room, turning to Aimee and Hannah, "Where are all the Slytherins?"

"What do you-" Hannah paused, looking up to notice the half empty room, "Odd. None of them are here?"

With only three minutes to the start of class, Violet couldn't think of a single reasonable explanation. She stared at the door, glancing frequently to the clock. Only at the very last second did the Slytherin second-years walk in, looking as if nothing were amiss. Which, to Violet, meant something bad had happened, or would be happening at some point.

She narrowed her eyes as she caught sight of Draco Malfoy, who was wearing that evil smirk of his as he sat at his desk. He made a show of dropping his bag onto the table, pulling out his things, then turning to look at her. His smirk widened as he waved his fingers at her. Her expression didn't change until he looked away. She dropped her gaze to her hands, which were clenched on the table.

"Whatever they did, best we stay out of it." Aimee warned her friends, also having noticed Malfoy's behavior.

Neither Hannah or Violet disagreed.

Class went on as normal, Lockhart taking the entire hour to discuss how he had defeated the Bandon Banshee, referencing his book "Break with a Banshee" every chance he got. Violet decided then that she wouldn't read any of his books, especially if he was just going to discuss them in such great length in class all year.

By the time lunch rolled around two hours later, Violet was tempted to skip the meal and take a nap. She had double-Transfiguration directly after, which was always an entertaining class, but it was nearly three hours long and would require intense concentration, as they were working on turning beetles into buttons, and she was having a difficult time with it.

Her friends dragged her to lunch, but she didn't put up much up a fight. She hadn't eaten much at breakfast and was famished. Plus, as she'd soon find out, she would finally learn what trouble the Slytherins had gotten into.

As she was having a conversation with Cedric about the dancing feet charm the second-years had been introduced to in Charms that morning, a loud commotion turned the attention of everyone in the Great Hall to the entrance of the room.

Several first-year students came running in, a mixture of Hufflepuffs, Ravenclaws, and Gryffindors shouting and running towards the back of the hall. Even over the shouting, the entire Slytherin table could be heard laughing.