Year Two: Return to Hogwarts

1st September, 1992

Upon arriving at Platform Nine and Three-Quarters, Violet was rather disappointed that she couldn't find her roommates in the crowd.

"I'm sure they're just waiting on the train for you," Her mother assured her, "You said the train is usually full? Perhaps they wanted to save you a compartment!"

"Yeah, you're probably right." Violet smiled, turning to hug her parents goodbye.

"Promise to write?" Her father asked, kissing Violet's head before letting her go.

"Promise!" The train horn sounded, "I've got to go. I love you!"

She rushed off, pushing her cart to the man who was loading the students' belongings onto the train. He smiled at her and began loading her items, nodding at her as she moved to take a small trunk, which contained a few books and her change of clothes.

The train was crowded. There were students milling around, trying to find empty compartments and their friends. She was nearly to the back of the train when she saw the girl with familiar rich brown skin and dark brown braids. She slipped into the compartment, waving at her friends who all smiled at her.

"Hi, Violet!" Aimee moved to the side of the bench seat, making space for Violet to sit.

"Hi! Have a good summer?"

Violet, Hannah, Caroline, and Aimee spent the next few hours discussing their summer holidays. Though they'd exchanged letters, it was easier to speak about the details of their adventures. After a while, Caroline excused herself to go find her other friends, including Susan Bones, a fellow Hufflepuff second-year.

During a lull in the conversation, there was a loud thump outside their compartment. The girls shared a confused look before Violet stood up, sliding the door open. A young girl was laying on floor, slowly moving from her stomach to sit up.

"You okay?" Violet asked and the girl looked up at her.

"Mind your own, mudblood!" Someone hissed. She leaned around the doorframe to look at the boy. None other than Draco Malfoy was glaring at her.

She ignored him and his disgusting insult, turning back to the girl. She had to be a first-year, judging by the plain robes she was wearing. She briefly wondered if the girl and Draco were related-- they certainly looked like they could be. The girl was pale, with long wavy blonde hair and bright grey eyes.

"You okay?" Violet repeated, reaching out a hand to the girl. The girl stared at her with wide, distracted eyes, glancing between her and Draco, "I'm Violet. Don't worry about him."

Violet looked at Draco with a scowl, "Off you go, Malfoy."

Surprisingly, the boy took off, but not without huffing the whole way. Finally the girl on the floor took Violet's hand, standing up and righting her clothes.

"Luna Lovegood. Thank you. He wasn't very nice." Luna had a whimsical voice, though it sounded as distracted as her facial expression looked.

"No, Draco Malfoy is not very nice. Do you need somewhere to sit? My friends and I have an open seat." She stepped to the side, briefly glancing at her wide-eyed friends.

"That's okay, I was just on my way back to my own compartment. Thank you." She took off, a skip in her step as she made her way to the other end of the train cart.

When Violet had closed the door and returned to her own seat, she observed her friends' odd expressions.

"We haven't even reached the school, and you're already stirring up trouble with Malfoy?" Hannah asked, exasperated.