Year Two: Jealousy, Jealousy

5th September, 1992

Not even back a week, and Violet was exhausted. The worst part of it, it wasn't even the school work that had her tried, just the drama. 

By the following afternoon, she'd finally gotten her thoughts in order enough to understand how she was feeling. 

She was upset over the entire Eddie situation. She might not have had any feelings towards the boy, but that didn't stop the hurt and doubt that had lodged in her mind about his behavior towards her. She'd thought he was nice enough, that they could've even been friends, but then he called her "easy". In a single day, he went from asking her out to verbally assaulting her. Sure, she didn't lose anything by losing him, but that doubt would never truly leave her. If it was so easy for him to turn on her like that, would it happen again? This time with someone she did care about?

Then there was the Cedric part of the situation. She wasn't upset with him by any means. Confused a bit, sure. She hadn't expected him to swoop in and pretend to be dating her just to get the other boy to leave her alone. In fact, she wasn't even sure why he'd done it, except for possibly being jealous. It took her longer to pinpoint that little piece of information, and she'd really only realized it was probably jealousy when Hannah pointed it out. 

She was thankful that Cedric was there to help, but she couldn't help wondering if he'd only done it for his own selfish reasons. It had become obvious to anyone that paid him any ounce of attention when he and Violet were around each other that he fancied her. He never outright said it, and never tried to talk with Violet about it, but they both knew it was there. So, did Cedric help her because she needed it, or so that he could be her "knight in shining armour" so to speak?

Violet felt guilty doubting Cedric. They were good friends, despite his behavior on the train, and she didn't want to lose that. She knew what kind of boy he was; he was loyal to a fault, kind, smart, and funny. He'd do anything for his friends. There was no way Cedric would act for a selfish reason, at least not entirely. He was good, and no amount of doubt or mental questioning would convince Violet that he was anything but. In the end, it didn't matter to her if he had been jealous or not, because he was there for her when she needed him, and that's what mattered.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Violet was early getting back to the common room after lunch. Most other students were still in the Great Hall, eating and hanging out with their friends, but she didn't feel like being around company right now. Plus, she'd spent the entire time she was there looking for Cedric, who never showed. She'd decided to head back to the common room to see if he was just running late. 

Luckily, she didn't have to look far, as Cedric was coming out of the boys dorms as she entered the common room. He wasn't as put together as he normally was, his hair a mess and clothes askew. She hesitated a moment before approaching him, as he looked preoccupied. 

"Hey, Ced." She walked towards him, her hands clutched together in front of her, "Alright? You're looking a little..." The words died off when he looked at her, his eyes a glassy red and unfocused. 

"Oh, hey, Violet." His speech was slightly slurred, but he managed a smile, "Alright, yeah. You? Haven't seen you since last night. Thought you were mad at me again."

"I wasn't mad at you, Ced." She was starting to understand what was happening when a sudden scent hit her, "Godric, Ced, have you been smoking?!"

He blinked a few times, trying to focus on her again, "Nooo... What were you saying?"

Violet had no problem with him smoking, not really. Plenty of people did it. So she wasn't sure why she was suddenly so upset.

"You know what? Never mind. See you later."