2. Sleepless Nights - Rose

Sleepless Nights – Rose

I’m trying so hard, but I can’t do it. I can’t fall asleep. All I hear is the yelling coming from my parents downstairs. It’s like this almost every night. The screaming. Me trying to tune it out and failing. Why do my parents have to do this?

It all started about three months ago. At first, they fought over silly things like what we would get for dinner, or who drove me to the mall. Now, they’re at each other’s throats every day. I can’t stand it. It hurts to see my parents argue, but they’re too caught up with other things to notice me. I’m turning 18 in three days, and my plan is to leave this mad house. I can’t handle this constant ignorance and foolishness anymore.

I flip over and look at the clock next to my bed. It’s 1:17 am. I’ve memorized the train schedule, and if I run, I can make the 1:30 to London. I throw the covers off my body, and grab my pre-packed bag. I check to make sure I have my headphones as I open the bedroom window. I throw my backpack out and watch as it lands safely. Then, I carefully place my foot on the trellis that’s on the side of my house and begin to climb down.

I began doing this when the intense yelling started. I used to sit and cry in my bed, but now I sneak out and go to the train station. I feel like I fit in when I ride the train. Everyone on it has a story. I like to look at them and try to guess what it is. It makes me feel like I’m not alone. Like I’m not the only one who worries, cries, or wants to run away.

I reach the bottom of the trellis and jump the last foot or so. I stumble a little bit when my feet hit the ground, and I accidentally ram into the kitchen window. I hear silence. The yelling has stopped. My parents heard me. I grab my bag as quickly as I can and run. I run as fast as my legs allow me to. Like my life depends on it. I hear my front door open, so I duck behind the nearest bush. I control my breathing as I wait for the sound of my front door being closed. It takes a while, but when I hear it, I check my phone to see what time it is.

1:24

Now I really have to run. I get up and sling my bag over my shoulder. I decide to take the shortcut behind my neighbor’s houses. I usually try to avoid this path, but I have no choice if I want to make it before the train leaves. I try to run as smoothly and quietly as possible. An occasional dog barks, but I’m not letting that stop me. Finally, I make it to the last house. The hedge house. I always have a problem when I go through here, but I can’t waste any more time so I quickly begin to crawl through the thick bush.

There better not be any snakes in here again.

I make through and wipe the dirt off of my hands and knees before I start sprinting again. I get to the Oxford Train Station at exactly 1:29. The lady at the ticket booth hands me my pass just as the train pulls up. I walk up the steps and take my usual seat in the back by the window. There’s no one else here besides me.

"Next stop, London."

I have about three hours until the train comes back around. I pull out my iPod and headphones from my bag and go to Pandora. Little Things by One Direction comes on first. Good. I like this song. I fold my hands over my stomach and close my eyes. Maybe I can catch up on my sleep.

It feels like it has been two seconds rather than two hours when we reach London. I’m in the same position I was in when we left Oxford, but I haven’t got much sleep yet. My mind keeps drifting and thinking.

What if my parents went up to my room and found that I was gone? Then they’ll know it was me who hit the kitchen window. They’ll know that I was sneaking out. I soon realize that I don’t care if they find out. They’re already punishing me enough by fighting with each other and ignoring me. Besides, I can do whatever I want in three days. I don’t have to be ignored anymore. I've saved 2000 pounds for this. Maybe after I rent an apartment, I’ll travel the world and meet new people. Maybe I’ll even fall in love. I don’t know. Any of those things could happen.

I hear the doors open meaning someone is boarding the train. It’s probably just some man returning home from a business trip. I don’t bother to open my eyes to see who it is. I want to keep thinking about all the amazing possibilities that could happen, but a voice distracts me from my thoughts.

"Excuse me, is this yours?"

My eyes flutter open to see who the distracter is. The one and only Harry Styles. I was just listening to his music, and now he’s right here standing in front of me. Part of me wants to scream and ask for his autograph, but another part of me sees a tired look in his eyes. Then, I see what he’s holding. My bag. It must’ve fallen while I was day dreaming.

"Um, yes. That’s mine."

When I reach out to take my bag from him, our hands touch. I am never washing that hand again.

"Mind if I sit?" he asks.

"Not at all."

__________________________________________________

What do you think of Rose? Do you like the switching POV thing? Don't forget to comment your thoughts because I love getting feedback!