8. Moving Up and Out - Rose

Moving Up and Out- Rose

There's a period of time right after you wake up where you don't remember anything that happend the previous day, and it takes a second for everything to come flooding back. When that happens the next morning, I feel happier than I have in a long time. I've met someone who understands me, and actually wants to spend time with me. I'm going to finish everything I want to do before I die with Harry Styles.

I roll out of bed and hop into the shower. As the water hits my shoulders and runs down my back, I think about what my day consists of. Nothing, really. Maybe I should tell my parents about the apartment I rented. What do you say to your parents when you tell them you're moving out? I wonder how they'll react. Will they even care? Will they want me to stay? There's no way of knowing until I actually speak to them. I hate not knowing things. Everything would be so much easier if I was born with all of the knowlege in the world. Or if I was a psychic.

I finish my shower and step out to dry off. As I search through my closet for something to wear, I try and practice what I'm going to say over and over in my head. "I'm moving out" is all I need. It's only three words. No big deal. I got this. Do I?

I take deep breaths as I walk downstairs. It feels like I'm about to go on stage in front of thousands of people. My palms become sweaty and it feels like my legs are going to collapse right beneath me. After what seems like forever, I make it to bottom and call my parents to the living room.

"Mom? Dad? Can you come in here?" I yell, my voice sounding shaky.

My dad enters from the kitchen, and my mom comes in from the office. I can see them glare at each other. I roll my eyes. Do they have to do this right now? Right when I'm about to tell them something important? I snap my fingers to get their attention.

"Can you two listen to me for a second?"

"Of course, baby," my mom says, putting a hand on my shoulder.

"You have our attention," my dad says.

"I'm just going to make it short and sweet," I start. "I'm moving out. I rented an apartment yesterday."

Once I say those words, it feels like a huge weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. That is, until my parents open their mouths.

"You did this," my mom points at my dad. "You are so controlling that our child wants to move out!"

"I did this? It's all your fault! Not mine!"

"Stop!" I shout. "I can't take it! Your fighting is why I'm leaving! It's both of your faults!"

The tears start pouring out of my eyes, but I can't l stop them this time.

"I would've left sooner if I could!"

With that, I run back up to my room and slam the door. I need to start packing now. There's no way I can stay here any longer than I have to. I wipe my tears away and get out as many suitcases as I can find so I can start stuffing everything into them. Fortunately, I find old storage boxes to put things from my desk and bathroom in. I hope my parents take this a sign and realize how much they hurt me.

After a few mintues, there's a soft knock at my door.

"Can we come in?"

"No."

My parents come in anyway.

"Rose, we're so sorry," my mom says.

"We just came up here to tell you that we support your decision to move out. We want you to leave on a happy note."

"I really appreciate that," I say.

"Good. You know we're here for you right?"

"I do now."

"We love you."

"Love you too."

My parents exit my bedroom and I return to packing. That made me feel a little better. Maybe they'll try and work things out now. Maybe they'll see that fighting won't get them anywhere. I think I did a good thing.

I'm almost finished packing when I hear something coming from outside.

_____________________________________________________

Another cliff-hanger? Yeah, sorry about that. They're just so fun. Anyway, what do you think is outside of Rose's window? It's really not that hard to guess.