14. Counting Stars - Rose

Counting Stars - Rose

The next morning, the smell of cologne wakes me up. It's a familiar scent. Who do I know that smells like this? I open my eyes to come face to face with Harry. His chest is rising and falling at a steady pace, his eyes are closed, and his head is on my pillow. I couldn't be more confused right now. Did I let him in last night? Did he sneak into my house this morning and crawl into my bed?

I poke him and say, "Harry? Wake up."

He groans and stretches before opening his eyes. When he does, that's how I know that this is all a dream. His eyes are blue, not the jade color that I love so much.

I jerk awake and look outside. I see stars, so it must still be the middle of the night. I get up and walk to my kitchen for a glass of water before heading back to bed. As I pass the living room, I notice that my window is open. I quickly set my water down and grab a knife from the drawer. I try to get back to my bedroom as quietly as I can so I can get my phone and call the police. However, as I get closer to my room, I realize that there's someone already in it. I can see their silhouette behind the door. I hold back my tears as I start backing away and heading towards the front door. I don't make it there though, because whoever is in my house taps me on the shoulder.

"What do you want?" I scream as I whip around with the knife in my hands, ready to strike.

Harry backs away and puts his hands up. I throw the knife down and embrace him. Even though he scared me, I don't know what else to do right now. Harry wraps his arms around my waist and we sway a little.

"I'm sorry," he apologizes.

"Next time you might want to call me before breaking and entering my house. I could've stabbed you with my knife."

"In my defense, you said I could climb in anytime."

"I didn't mean in the middle of the night," I laugh.

We break away from our hug and I suddenly feel cold without him holding me. I shiver and Harry immediately takes off his hoodie and gives it to me.

"Thanks," I blush.

"No problem. Anyway, the reason why I came is so we can do another thing from your book."

"Right now?"

"This is the only time we can do it."

"Hm, I think I know where this is going."

"Well, Rose, how would you like to have a picnic under the stars with me?"

"Well, Harry, I would be delighted."

"This way please."

I put my arm through Harry's and we make our way to the open window. I go first with Harry following right behind. He picks up a picnic basket from the grass and he leads me down the street. Halfway there, he puts a blindfold around my head. We walk for about five more mintues when Harry stops me.

"Ready to take off your blindfold?"

"I've never been more ready for anything in my life."

"Okay, here you go," he says as he rips the blindfold off.

The first thing I see is little dots of light in the grass. As I move closer, I see that they're candles. They're placed all around a red and white checkered blanket that's laying in the middle of an enormous field. I look up, and I can see the stars perfectly. There's no city lights to outshine them here.

"You did all of this for me?" I ask.

"I couldn't think of a person more deserving than you."

I blush and he takes my hand to lead me over to the blanket. We both sit down as Harry opens the picnic basket and pulls out what he made.

"Mac and cheese?"

"Well I wasn't sure what you liked, so yeah."

"It's perfect," I say, giggling a little.

Harry hands me a fork and we dig in. I try to focus on the picnic, but the pepperminty smell of Harry's hoodie reminds me of my dream. His cologne waking me up, him laying next to me, his odd blue eyes. I'm not superstitious or anything, but that has to mean something, right?

"Rose? Are you there?" Harry questions, snapping me back to reality.

"Yeah, sorry. What were you saying?"

"I got you something," he replies as he takes out a box from the basket.

"Oh, you didn't have to."

"I wanted to," he says, handing me the box.

I open it to reveal a mood ring that's in the shape of a star.

"It's so you'll always remember our picnic."

"It's beautiful."

"Why don't you try it on?"

I slip the ring onto my middle finger and watch as it gradually turns purple.

"What does purple mean?" I ask.

Harry grabs the key, looks at it and says, "It means you're in love."

Love. What a dangerous feeling. It can be used to make someone feel special, but then it could just end up hurting them. However, sometimes you can't help what you feel. I soon realize that I might feel it for Harry.

"That's true. I'm in love with this mac and cheese," is all I manage to say.

"That makes two of us," he replies, winking at me. "So, do you think you're ready to pack up and head back home?"

"Sure."

I help Harry fold the blanket and put the food back into the picnic basket. As we walk down the street, Harry grabs my hand, and I let him. I don't really know what this thing is between us, but I like it.

Harry walks me back to my window and we begin to say goodbye.

"Thanks for doing this for me. I've been having the time of my life with you."

"I could say the same thing. Well, I should probably head out now huh?"

"You could stay if you want to."

"I do want to, but I have band things to do tomorrow morning."

"Will I see you tomorrow?"

"Maybe. Keep your window open just incase."

"It'll always be open for you."

____________________________________________________

I have picked a winner for the contest and their idea will be in the next chapter! Thanks for all of your entries! Before I go, I want to ask a question. Who's POV do you like better? Rose's or Harry's? Leave a comment below and let me know! Don't forget to vote and follow!