Mile

I nestled next to Apo, my heart thudding. Not over him but over the 18 year old who was seated on the couch.

By the time the movies ended, it was close to 2am. Tong offered to drive Apo home since they lived close by. Both boys went off, leaving me and Barcode alone.

"Let me drop you off?" I asked Barcode.

"It's ok, P. It's super late. I just take an Uber home. Am going to call for one now."

Barcode replied, taking his phone out. He tried for one for close to 15 minutes but wasn't getting one. He was about to try again when I went over and took his phone away. He looked at me, surprised.

"It's late. You wouldn't get an Uber now. Why don't you stay over instead? There's no one home also, right?"

"It's ok, P. I will just go home." I glared at Barcode, who was incredibly stubborn. He finally got one and grabbed his cap to go wait for the Uber outside. I waved him off goodbye and closed the door as I saw him go to the main road to wait for his car. I went to get a drink and came back to switch off the hall lights when I still saw Barcode at the main road! He was supposed to have left like 5 minutes ago!

I quickly ran out to the main road. Barcode was stunned to see me.

"P, why are you here?!"

"I can ask you the exact same thing! Why are you still here? Where's your ride?"

Barcode said the driver had cancelled on him, and he was trying for another. I groaned.

"It's 3am Barcode. I am not going to let you go home now. If you still insist, I will drop you off. It's super hard to get an Uber now. Please don't be so stubborn Barcode."

Barcode looked at me for a long bit before he agreed to stay over. We went back to my house. I gave Barcode a new set of pajamas and showed him the guest bedroom.

"Rest well Barcode. Anything, call me na."

He nodded at me, and I was about to walk off when he held onto my hands. I turned to look at him.

"I'm sorry for saying it was a mistake. I don't know why I put it that way."

I looked at him, stunned.

"It's ok, Barcode. It was..it is a mistake. I shouldn't have done that either."

I didn't say anything else and quickly went back to my room instead, closing the door, my heart thudding wildly.

Yeaps, my heart was definitely thudding for the 18 year old. Definitely.