Mile

I went off, but I felt my own heart breaking with every step. I thought that by not seeing him for the last 5 months, I would have moved on. I clearly didn't.
Not a single fucking bit.

I knew he had seen me kiss Apo earlier but it wasn't what he thought but I could never tell him that. Maybe it's best he thought that I was seeing Apo.

I packed my things and was going to my car when I saw him waiting at the lobby for a ride, presumably. He kept looking at his phone. I put my things in the back seat and was about to climb into the driver's seat when it started pouring! I looked over at Barcode, who was moving back into the sheltered area of the lobby. I sighed. The weather was crazy and I knew he wasn't going to get an Uber anytime soon.

I quickly grabbed an umbrella and went over to him.

"Let me send you home."

Barcode looked at me and shook his head.

"It's ok, P. I texted my mom. She said she let me know if she could come. She's out now."

Just as I was about to reply, Barcode's mum called him. I knew enough from the conversation to realize that she couldn't make it, asking him to either get an Uber or a ride home with a friend. Barcode sighed as he hung up.

"I send you home, now?"

"It's fine. I will call for an Uber."

"She did say a friend can send you home."

"We are just colleagues P. My mom and you made it very clear."

I winced inwardly as Barcode said that and walked away, trying to call for an Uber.

I gripped my umbrella tightly. I called my manager instead, who said he would ask Jeff if he was free. I went back to my car. I waited there till I saw Jeff come by.  I only left after Jeff had picked Barcode up and drove off.

But my heart was just breaking to pieces with every passing minute. This fucking distance between me and Barcode.

I never wanted it.