Mile

As I headed home, my mind lingered on Barcode and the shared kiss. Unaware, a van suddenly emerged from the opposite direction, its driver seemingly intoxicated as he abruptly veered into my lane. Despite my attempts to swerve and avoid a collision, I ended up careening over the barricade.

The car flipped over, and I found myself ejected from it. Detecting the scent of leaking oil, I hastily scrambled away, narrowly escaping as the vehicle erupted in flames. The impact caused shattered glass to fly in my direction, resulting in cuts all over my body. Attempting to shield myself, I stumbled backwards, inflicting further injuries on a sharp rock. In my last conscious moments, I muttered, "Let me survive for him..." before succumbing to unconsciousness.

Regaining consciousness some time later, I found myself in a place surrounded by immaculate lights. The sterile setting, the distinct clean scent of chlorine, and the rhythmic ticking of the IV drip became apparent. Attempting to sit up, I immediately let out a groan.

"P! ARE YOU OK!?!" I looked up to see Barcode's face flit into my zone, his red eyes heavy set with tears and looking at me. I nodded or tried to. My head felt heavy, and I groaned again. I heard a soothing voice urging me to lie back, and I did so, my eyes soon becoming heavy, and I knocked off.

I awakened once more, hours later, finding myself in the familiar surroundings, but this time bathed in a warm, orangey glow. I felt less fatigued than before and managed to sit up. To my surprise, someone immediately provided support as I rose, and I realized it was Barcode.

"Why are you still here? Didn't you go home?" I questioned.

"There was no way I was going home without ensuring you're okay. How do you feel now? Should I call the doctor?" Barcode inquired.

I shook my head, insisting that I was fine. Barcode took a seat in the chair beside my bed and gently held onto my hand.

"What happened?" I inquired, realizing that I couldn't quite recall the events. Barcode provided the details of the incident, and I winced upon hearing them. The concern on his face reflected how much I had frightened him. I sighed, offering an apology for causing him distress. However, he shook his head vehemently, insisting it was not my fault.

We were in a private room when the nurse conducted her rounds and noticed I was awake. She informed the assigned doctor, who arrived to conduct some checks. After the examination, he cleared me for the night, advising rest. He assured me he would return in the morning for further assessments. I nodded in understanding.

I told Barcode to head home, but he refused to listen and just parked himself with me. I chatted with him until I fell asleep due to the medications.

I woke up around 10 am. the following morning. My manager, parents, some of the KP boys, and Barcode were all there. They were all quietly chatting amongst themselves when I woke up. Barcode instantly snuck to my side and helped me up. I was so focused on him only that I did not realize the looks everyone was throwing us. It was definitely of the good kind, though we were oblivious to it.

The doctor ran more tests on me and declared that I needed another 3 more days of hospitalization before I was cleared to go home, and I was on another 2 weeks of medical leave. I sighed as it meant all of my professional commitments were pushed back, but my manager scolded me for having my head in the wrong place and just told me to focus on resting. I nodded sheepishly.

I went back to my parents' place to recuperate, but Barcode came to see me daily conscientiously for the 2 weeks. Though we never spoke of the kiss again nor of our burgeoning feelings, it was very obvious that something had changed between us.

I guess it was a matter of whom confessed first. I was holding back primarily because I was wondering if I was too old for him. The gap between us was huge, and I don't know if that was something that would sit well with him. As much as I wanted to ask him, my courage failed me each and every time.

I was watching tv when I looked at the clock. It was 6pm already. Usually, Barcode would be here already unless he had filming, and I knew he had nothing on today because he had told me.

But maybe something came up? I texted him, but there was no reply. I let it be as he could be busy. However, when he hadn't texted me by 10 am the following day, something struck me as off.

I was feeling much better, so I grabbed my wallet and drove to go see him. I reached his house only to realize he wasn't home and was at school. I nodded at his mom, citing I would text him, and I was about to leave when she stopped me.

"I like you a lot, dear, as a person. So does my Barcode. But you are, after all 32. And my boy is only 18. It wouldn't sit well. So if I were you, you should know what to do. And I hope this explains why Barcode hasn't been to see you."

I stared mortified at her. I guess, reality finally slapped me, smack in my face.