Barcode

"Whom do you wanna invite for your birthday, sweetie?"

"The same group of friends, Mae. It doesn't change."

"How about your colleagues? You can invite them too, especially the ones you acted with recently."

I looked at my mum and just nodded. Even though she didn't want me to be seeing P Mile, she was still a huge fan of his. I invited them via the group chat. Everyone agreed, including P Mile.

My birthday rolled around, and everyone started coning in. It was turning out to be a really nice one, but P Mile was missing. I heard from P Apo that he was unwell.

"Well, thank you for coming, P. Do you have to leave earlier to go check on P Mile?"

"Do I have to? He be ok. It's just a regular fever plus you know Mile. He doesn't like people fawning all over him."

"That I know but I thought he would want you to be there."

"Hahah, for what? Not like I'm his boyfriend. I be the last one he wants since I annoy him daily!"

I was stumped. I didn't even dare tell P Apo I thought they were seeing each other. So, what was that kiss and hug about? But wait, it also meant P Mile was alone at home sick!

I instantly knew I wanted to go see him but I doubt my mother will allow me especially today. I sighed as I tried to get back to the party but my heart was more with him than here.

My mother could sense my distress and after the cake cutting, she pulled me aside, asking what was going on. I just looked at her and just burst out telling her everything.

She looked at me for such a long while before I heard her mutter, "Go see him but don't take too long."

I looked at her in shock! She pushed me to go before she changed her mind! I nodded and slipped out quietly. Everyone was busy partying, watching movies, chatting and didn't realize I had left. I quickly took an Uber to P Mile's house and knocked on his door. Frantically if I may add.

Finally, he opened it. He was stunned to see me.

"Nong? What are you doing here? Isn't it your birthday party?"

"I... I heard you are sick.. I came to check on you.."

"I'm fine. You should go. Before your mom realizes you are missing. Don't get into trouble with her over me."

"She's the one who sent me to go check on you. She allowed me to."

Mile fell silent. I pushed my way in and closed the door, standing against it. I raised my hand to feel his forehead and Mile took a step back.

"Don't. It's ok. I'm ok. Apo will be coming soon to check on me."

"Stop lying P. I just spoke to P Apo earlier. Why did you give me the impression you were dating him?"

"Why does it matter? It shouldn't affect you. At all."

"Why are you doing this to me?"

"I can ask the same question back. But I wouldn't. Just let things be as they are. It's for the best."

"Whose best? Yours? Mine? Our heads or our hearts? If its our hearts, please just talk about yours. I know it isn't the best for my heart. Only I know how much I am aching P."

Mile watched me silently but not saying a word. I raised my hand to feel his forehead. It was warm but not scorching hot.

"Rest well P. See you when I do."

I turned to go. P Mile held onto my hand. I tried tugging at it but he refused to let go.

"Let me go P."

"I can't, Barcode."

That was the first time in 8 months I have finally heard him call me by name. It has been Nong since my mom spoke to him. I burst into tears, on the spot, the grief hitting me hard. Mile held onto me from the back, hugging me tightly.

"I can't fucking let go Barcode. When all I ever wanted, was to hold onto you. But the world dictates otherwise with its social norms. But my heart keeps saying something else. And you here today just proved it too."