Chapter Three: Savior

_______

CHAPTER THREE: SAVIOR

_______

Eyes like the brightest feathers of a bluebird.

Mizu turned away. Her eyes fell calmly from the woman's face and then closed. Her head followed suit.

The woman began stammering, perhaps she offended by staring too long, but no voice came out. It was like hollow air blown into a broken flute.

The woman's eyes dropped to her body, and her arms immediately enveloped her breasts. Dazed and confused, she noticed much too late she was naked.

Sensing her panic, Mizu stood up and clicked off the clutch of her samurai cloak. From behind her, she placed the cloak around her shoulders. The woman's bright red cheeks contrasted sharply with the navy blue of the cloak.

Looking down at the woman from behind her, Mizu caught the fleeting glimpse of a long, scale-like organ, twitching beneath the fish. Doing a double-take, what she thought was a mermaid tail were mere human legs. The woman's ankles were ridden with what looked like rope burn, and bruises trailed up and down her shaking thighs.

My brain is playing tricks on me, Mizu thought, blanketing her in her samurai cloak.

She shivered as the chattering of her teeth tried to thank Mizu wordlessly. To gather warmth on her naked body, she brought her knees up to her chest and cocooned herself under the warm cloak. It smelled incredibly like her savior, as if Mizu herself was on top of her.

The samurai walked around the woman and towards the port of the deck. Two wooden crates lay side by side. The woman watched closely, and she realized in dismay that Mizu was a man.

Not my savior.

Captor.

She stared in dread as he opened the chest by the port. What was he going to pull out? Rope? Make me into his plaything?

On the contrary, Mizu pulled out a thick wool coat. On freezing nights when she had to steer through tempestuous storms, she stored extra coats ready for her.

"Put this on," Mizu said, curtly.

The woman's eyes fell on the garment. The wool was luxurious and from a different fabric than she was used to seeing. Exported, then.

...For me?

Her eyes then went up to Mizu's face, devoid of expression yet abundantly patient with her.