Chapter Thirty-Seven: The Vision of the Gods

_______

CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN: THE VISION OF THE GODS

_______

When Sogo came to, she was held bridal style by Mizu and carried back into the ship. She had a tiny headache as Mizu delicately kept her head in with her muscled shoulders. Her lashes lifted, and she saw Mizu's gorgeous, chiseled face underneath the moon. The samurai looked down as a curl of her black hair framed her face.

"Did you have a nightmare?"

So close. It made her heart jump as Mizu stared down at her. "Um.. no, why?"

She paused, wondering if she should bring it up or not.

"Why?"

"This is just the second time you've said it in your sleep... 'Mama'."

She wrinkled her nose in disapproval. Then, her head shot up to look for the rabbit. She tried hopping off of Mizu's hold, but the samurai only held her tighter.

"The rabbit!"

"It's sleeping safely in my quarters and won't run away. Don't believe me?"

"Well, you're just not very keen on him..."

"Yeah, but you're keen on him. Don't worry, the second you're bored of him we're having rabbit stew."

"D-don't even joke like that!"

"Heh."

They entered the canteen. Sogo thought she was completely sober now, but once they lit up candles to see their way, she noticed the flames flickering in luminescent and unnatural colors. It made her smile, it was like magic. She had the vision of the gods.

Yes!

They ate what was bountiful and free with a fishing net. The cod was lukewarm and boiled plainly, yet salty as hell. A meal barely edible one had to chew a million times before swallowing.

Sogo ate it like a ravished beast, as if she was eating for the first time ever. The softness of its skin was so chewy, and the flakiness of its flesh crunchy like chips.

Mizu watched her from across their low table. Her legs were crossed below it on the floor. Polite, like one sits. Yet the woman was unable to stay put. In her state of mind, the bland fish tasted phenomenal.

A crumb stuck to her lip. Mizu flicked it upwards with her thumb.

She chastised, "Messy girl."

Then she placed her thumb in her mouth and licked it clean.

They ate in a comfortable silence, being quiet together. It was so peaceful. The kind Mizu only had when she was alone. But with her (even though she's quite the handful), it was just as peaceful, if not more.