Chapter Twelve: Formosa

_______

CHAPTER TWELVE: FORMOSA_______

_______

Mizu stared begrudgingly at her wide-brimmed hat. Although it was a light article of clothing, today it felt so heavy. She held it between her hands, knowing every subtle curve, indent, minor tear, and feel of its material by memory. Even though it had been months of seafaring since she'd worn it, she knew it well.

Her tinted, circular glasses sat on the wooden desk of her captain's lodging. When she wore them, the world always had a yellow tint to her, like sepia. Looking towards the world, but not really.

Back to this, then.

It was nice being without disguises and barriers on this ship. Her hat and glasses were like a shadow, but inside of following her, it covered her. Mizu was her own shadow.

She had a knot of sadness deep in her throat that she struggled to keep down. Life on the ship... even though she still had months to go for England... even though she'd only be in Formosa for a few hours...

Hell, even though pirates tried to kill her and Fowler would too if he had the slightest chance.

Life at sea was one where she didn't have to be her own shadow, but to feel the sun on her skin and hair and even behold it with her bare eyes.

She put them on ceremoniously.

When they were nearly docking, Sogo found Mizu by the bowsprit, staring into the beautiful pink and blue sky which to her was colored over in sepia.

Formosa. Under Dutch Control. The flag of the Netherlands blew proudly in the distance.

Mizu tilted her head, hearing the woman's footsteps. She became accustomed to looking forward to her presence. Her steps. Her voice. Though realizing it much too late.

The tender forehead kiss she gave her last night still lingered on her lips.

"M-Mizu!" Sogo took in the sight with flushed cheeks. She'd only seen Mizu in a casual, comfortable kimono with light trousers for sea work. But now, she was in her full cloak, wide, full-length samurai pants that fit her lean body, and dark boots. The way her cloak draped over her shoulders made them look broader than they already were.

Sogo remembered when Mizu found her in the water, and she covered her in that same cloak. It shared their bodies now, and that thought made her heart thump.

Also... her eyes. In those mysterious, circular, gorgeous tinted glasses. The hat gave her an air of intrigue, of power, of a masculine demeanor born men could never match. Her hair, long as it was, was tied back without a strand out of place. Altogether, Mizu was...

"... so handsome," Sogo muttered, enchanted and wholly taken by her appearance. "Mizu, you are... so beautiful."

The samurai lowered her gaze, and in doing so her wide-brimmed hat covered her eyes.