Demon Slayer : The Second Sun Breather

CHAPTER TWELVE (29)

TO YOU, FROM 400 YEARS AGO

(29)
Yoko falls happily asleep, only to dream a very strange dream. Inside it, she sees her ancestor. As if it was real, the dream is easily mistaken, for reality.

Inside her dream she sees a man, named Yoriichi, as he puts down his cup of tea. As the golden sunset, reflects from his skin.
Yoriichi looks at a woman, named Raito.
And with a calm voice, he speaks to her.
Yorichii: Raito, I have a big favor to ask. He lowers his head, speaking calmly.
Raito holds his hand.
Raito: Yoriichi, please. Anything for you really. You saved my life. I'll be forever grateful to you.
Yoriichi seem's almost scared, to say it out loud. Perhaps, he thinks it's inappropriate.
Yorichii: You see, since Uta...died.
I hadn't had children. I know we may be, not so young now but...there's great danger for the world....the thing I saved you from, isn't the only one in Japan. The favor I need from you...is a heavy burden to ask. But...it's necessary for the future, of the world.
Raito lowers her head, slowly understanding, what Yoriichi means. Looking into his scarlet red eyes. Holding her breath. It almost feels unreal. Despite her disliking the idea, she gathers up all her courage. And gives in. 
Raito: I understand...but Yoriichi?
Will it...really work?

It feels like the dream stopped for a brief moment, like a neverending nightmare. Yoko moves on her side of the bed, sweating.

When the dream continues.
A door opens wide, as Yoriichi enters the house. Holding two swords. Raito raises her sight, and looks at Yoriichi. She seem's almost happy to see him. Holding a newborn, in her arms.
Raito: Yoriichi !
He comes closer to her, sitting next to her bed, as he takes a look at his child.
It feels unreal, even to him. And so, with a unsure tone, he speaks.
Yoriichi: How...is she ?
Raito: He, it's a...he.
Yoriichi: Was the labor hard ?
Raito: No...not really.
Raito looks unsure too, this all feels very strange to her.
Raito: Do you...want to hold him ?
Yoriichi: Oh, sure...
Raito hands her son over to Yoriichi. As he looks at him, he is so calm, it's almost scary. The child grabs him by a string of his hair. Suddenly, Yoriichi feels moved by this. Remembering the family he could have had.
Tearing up, he gives the child back to Raito. Even after years, he still doesn't let anyone to him. Uta...was the only women he ever loved. But he knew, he couldn't leave the world unprotected.
Yoriichi: Raito, listen to me very carefully...his last name, will be Tsugikuni, but for his first name, you are free to chose whatever you want.
Raito: Oh alright.
Yoriichi: But that's not all. He must pass on my lineage, it is very important you'll explain this to him, when he gets older. When a child is born, that has the same mark as I do. They...must know, who they truly are. This knowledge must carry on. It can't be forgotten.
He hands her a small diary book, and his sword, which has a golden handel.
Yoriichi: Everything is written in the book. The child who's born with the mark, will wield this sword.
Raito looks at him, nodding her head in agreement. But inside she feels really uneasy.
Raito: What if a child is born with a mark, and I'll be no longer around ? What then?
Yoriichi: That's the reason why, you must teach him, about his purpose, and he...will teach his children, and so...it will go on, even, if it takes 400 years.
Yoriichi looks down, at the baby. He holds his little hand, for a second.
Looking up at Raito, he very gently smiles. It's after years, he showed one. With a calm voice, he speaks.
Yoriichi: Raito, thank you, for your help. Any expenses he will have, I'll cover by sending you money.

(30)
Yoko wakes up, sweating. Her heart is beating so fast now, breathing so heavily.
She jumps out of bed, panicking.
Yoko:*inner voice*: Just what...it felt so real!! What...just...what!?
She looks back at the sound asleep Kyojuro. She doesn't want to
wake him up, so she exits the room. Barefoot she walks out to the garden. The sky looks like the sunrise is coming, in minutes. It is still dark outside tough, and the cool breeze, kisses her cheeks.
Letting her know, that autumn is approaching. The mornings are now colder by the day.
A million thoughts cross her mind.
She holds her head, while crouching down, in the middle of the garden.
Yoko: *inner voice*: What is this ?! This can't be real ! But that...was my sword
I saw ! And my last name ! And Yoriichi he....was I...conceived because of this ?!
Did my mother know ?! Why didin't she tell me !? Am I just a...plan B ??! Did she...love me ? Mom...I want you here...
I want to hug you...I want you to tell me!
A flow of tears appears in her eyes.
Yoko: Is that my whole purpose ? Nothing more ?!
Looking up to the sky desperate.
Yoko: God ! What is this ?! Why do you keep doing this ?! Can't I be happy!? Can't I be normal?!
She holds her head as she tries to stay quiet.
Yoko: Fuck this...fuck you! I am...so tired.
She looks up at the sky, as tears fall down her cheeks. Emotionless, without any expression on her face. She just stares at the lightly lightened sky. And with the softest voice, she speaks.
Yoko: Why?