Chapter 13

Bede's hand is squeezing my throat tight, and I scramble for his arm, trying to dig my nails in so he'll let go, but he doesn't. He may be small, but he's deceptively strong, and his fingernails dig into my skin, drawing blood. My face starts to burn, my head going fuzzy as I choke. Behind him, Tokio screams, crying out, but doesn't step forward to help me. I meet his eyes over Bede's shoulder, but he's on his knees, crying into his hands, not looking at me.

I close my eyes, both hands around Bede's wrist, trying to twist myself free. Then, there's footsteps from the trees, and I'm dropped, crumpling back against the tree behind me, my hand flying up to my throat as I gasp for air and open my eyes. If I wasn't already breathless, I would be now, because Ash is here, and now he has Bede in the same position I was just in, only Ash is much taller, and even stronger, and Bede's eyes are wide with fear now.

"I don't know who you are," Ash says, lifting him off the ground a little. "And I don't care. But if I ever see you touch him again, I'll kill you. Understand?"

Bede is nodding, tears streaming from his eyes. Hand still touching my throat, I turn to Tokio, and see his eyes are just as wide as Bede's, and he's looking at me, confused. He recognises Ash.

Ash throws Bede down to the ground, where he scrambles away like a scared animal, rushing to his feet again. Ash turns back to me, his face softening, and then he's in front of me, his hand gently touching my neck. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah," I say, nodding. Ash seems to exhale with relief, and then his hands are on my face, and his forehead is resting against mine. All of the fear and pain goes right away, and I feel my whole body reacting to him again, like my heart is soaring out of my chest.

He moves away again a second later. "Come on," he says. "I'm parked just around the corner."

He takes my hand, and starts to lead me away. I glance back over my shoulder, just to see Tokio still watching us, still shocked and confused. Bede is trying to drag him to his feet, still glaring angrily at Ash, but Tokio won't tear his eyes away from mine. Good, I think. Hopefully he's looking at Ash and realising just why he never has any chance of getting me back.

Ash opens and closes the door for me. I sink back into his passenger seat, my mind reeling. It's not like he kissed me in front of them, but still... That was intimate. And they saw. Ash closes his own door but doesn't immediately start the car.

"I can't believe you," he says, shaking his head. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't tell anyone," I say, staring ahead rather than at him.

"You told Chloe," he says, and I realise that she must have told him where I'd be, so he'd show up. Annoyance flares, but I push it back. I can deal with her another time. Then again, if Ash hadn't showed up, where would I be? I highly doubt Bede would have actually killed me, but he would have messed me up before leaving me there, no doubt.

I turn to look Ash in the eye. I can't tell where I stand with him at all. First, he's telling me he doesn't want a relationship, and then he's trying to drunkenly make out with me in his house. It's scaring me, honestly. Maybe he just wants something casual with me, but it'll never just be that for me. I've never been with someone without being in a relationship with them before. I don't know what the rules for something like that are.

"Well," Ash says after a second, and starts the car. "I don't think he'll bother you anymore, anyway."

"Thank you, Ash," I say. I can't believe Tokio was just going to sit there and watch it happen. The thought pisses me off, and I turn away again, crossing my arms as Ash starts to drive. I reach out and turn the radio up slightly to fill the silence.