Chapter 14

Gary sits alone at lunch, while everyone else joins us, except Misty, who still seems unsure about the whole situation, so sits with Brock and Tracey instead. Occasionally, I glance over at him. This is what I wanted, but now I just feel insanely guilty. This is all my fault, and yeah, maybe he had it coming, but watching him sitting there, looking so defeated, doesn't make me happy. I know how it feels to be in that position. On the days when Chloe was off sick, I'd sit in that exact spot on my own, feeling like everyone was staring at me, judging me for having not a single person that cared enough to come over and keep me company.

After school, Chloe walks home with me, leaving Ash behind to give Dawn a ride home.

"I have something to tell you," she says, and I can tell from the way she's beaming that Dawn must have asked her. "Dawn asked me to the Easter dance next weekend," she says.

The smile that spreads across my face is the first real smile I've given all day. "That's great, Chlo. What did she say to you, exactly?"

"That she's nervous about the whole thing and wants to take it slow, but that she really likes me," Chloe says, going giddy over it. "I still can't believe it. We haven't even kissed and I still get breathless everytime I think about it. I don't even feel worthy of her."

"You are," I say quickly. "You deserve happiness, and I know you two are gonna be happy together."

Chloe links her arm with mine, laying her head against me. "Thanks, Goh. But that's enough about me. What's happening with you? I didn't want to ask in front of Ash, but... Gary?"

"When I told Ash what Gary said to me in the elevator, he went to speak to him. He won't tell me what he said, though. Whatever it was, it must have been bad, because Gary doesn't even seem angry. He just seems really sad."

"Don't tell me you feel sorry for the school's biggest asshole."

"Don't you?" I counter. "That was us a few months ago."

"Not really. We had each other."

I nod. "Yeah, so it's even worse for him." I feel sick again. I really, really want to see Ash. Just for his comforting presence, if nothing else. I never knew you could want someone so badly it could make you cry. It was never like this with Tokio, and I feel pathetic.

When I get home, nobody else is there, so I climb the stairs and fall into bed, pulling the covers up over me. I'm haunted by the image of him sitting there alone in the dining hall. That, and him slumped against the elevator wall, telling me to mock him, looking so defeated. He's a human being too, and clearly going through a lot. I did try, though, didn't I?

There's the rumble of a car outside. I ignore it, until my phone pings. I'm outside, it says. When I sit up and look out of my window, I see it's Ash's car. I quickly get out of bed, pull a hoodie over my head, and jog down to meet him. When I get in his car, he's playing my music, and all thoughts of Gary are gone immediately.

"What's up?" I ask.

"I just wanted to hang out," he answers, rubbing the back of his head sheepishly. I smile, feeling warmth seep back into my heart.

"Okay," I say. "So where are we going?"

"Chloe and Dawn want to hang out and watch movies, probably get pizza or something," he says. "But they said half five, so..."

I glance at the time. It's only four. So I guess we're hanging out alone for an hour and a half. "Drive?" I suggest. Ash nods, shifting into reverse, and starts to pull off my drive. We fall into conversation, avoiding the topic of Gary because this is the first time I've felt good all day, and I don't want anything to ruin it just yet.