Chapter 17

Kinda ahead with writing this, so here's a fast update for ya

I rush past Chloe through the doors and immediately spot them. Most people don't seem to have noticed yet, but the ones around them have stopped to watch the obvious standoff. Before I even get the chance to move, Ash is stepping closer to Bede, murder in his eyes. I hear Chloe come up beside me.

"Oh, no," she says, and I spot what she's spotted. Gary is heading over too, striding right across the room, ignoring everyone else. Ash looks even more pissed off when Gary comes up beside him, crossing his arms, saying something to Bede. Bede scrunches his face up, shaking his head and saying something back.

I start to head over. They're raising their voices, and more people are turning towards them, craning their necks to see what's happening. Anxiety fills my chest.

I reach them right as Gary raises his fist and punches Bede straight in the face. Bede stumbles back towards me, and instinctively I put my arms out to catch him, but instead he regains his balance, feels my hands touch his arms, and throws his elbow back. I feel a sharp burst of pain as it connects with my nose. Sparks fly across my vision, and I feel a warm sensation that I know is blood trickling down my face. I dip my head and put my hand under to stop it, but it's already splashed down onto the floor and marked my shirt.

I feel an arm around me, guiding me away, and I know it's Ash without looking up. I hear commotion behind me, and realise Gary and Bede are still fighting, yelling openly at one another now, shouting obscenities. The sounds get quieter as Ash leads me into the bathroom, the door swinging shut behind us. He takes me over to the sink and grabs a load of tissue paper for me, instructing me to pinch my nose until it stops bleeding. It's not a serious injury, at least, and the pain has already started to subside, but my nose feels stuffy and slightly swollen.

He dampens some more tissue and tilts my chin up with his fingers, wiping the blood from my face gently. People come and go from the stalls, staring at us, but Ash pays them no attention, because all of his attention is on me. When he's done, he throws out the tissue and inspects my face.

"Are you okay?" he asks.

"Yeah."

The door opens, and I turn to see Chloe, grimacing. "You're being summoned."

"Great," I groan.

— — — —

Gary and Bede are already sitting in his grandfather's office. Gary's arms are crossed again, but Bede is holding a wad of bloody tissue under his nose, and I realise Gary's punch must have made his nose bleed too. The headteacher is dressed in a nice suit, and must have been at the dance too, though I never spotted him.

"Sit down," he says. Bede looks absolutely furious. There's only one spare seat, so I sit, and Ash stands behind me, never taking his eyes off my attacker.

"This is exactly why I didn't want you taking matters into your own hands," Oak snaps at Gary, who flinches.

"I told you, it wasn't even me," Bede says to me, his voice stuffy. "I stopped last time your other stupid boyfriend threatened me. Now you've got both of them picking fights with me in public."

I can't help but scoff. "Oh, don't act like you're the innocent one in this situation."

"Be quiet," Oak says sharply. "Unfortunately, I'm going to have to contact all of your parents."

Bede's face goes even paler than it already is. "My- My mum? No, please."

Half an hour later, all of our parents are gathered in the room too, minus my dad, because he's still at work. Delia seems stressed out, chewing the end of her nails and fretting over me, as if I'm her son. My mum immediately started arguing with Bede's mum. Gary's parents are ominously quiet, and he's gone quiet around them too, not even looking at them as they enter.