14. Fair

Scene 1

2 weeks later...

Charlie was feeling much better. Asya and Frances were taking good care of him. Thomas was working from his office, not wanting to leave Charlie, after what happened.

Pulling a cigarette from his jacket, he goes downstairs.
Spotting the maid, Mary, dusting a nearby shelf.

Thomas: Mary, did you see Asya?

Mary, responded with a nod.

Mary: She's at the stables, sir, tending to the horses.

Thomas took drag from his cigarette, and made his way to the stables.

Scene 2

Thomas Shelby, cigarette in hand, approached the stables silently. As he neared, he observed Asya engrossed in the care of the horses, her voice weaving a soft melody.

Thomas decided to make his presence known. A low, gravelly voice cut through the stable's ambient sounds.

Thomas: They like you.

Startled, Asya jumped at the unexpected intrusion, her eyes widening as she turned to face him.

Asya: You nearly scared the life out of me

A smirk played on Thomas's lips as he took another drag from his cigarette, seemingly unfazed by her reaction.

Thomas: Apologies. Didn't mean to startle you.

Asya, ever quick-witted, retorted.

Asya: Ah, the elusive Mr. Shelby graces us with his presence. What catastrophe brings you to the stables today?

A playful grin adorned her face.

Thomas, exhaling a cloud of smoke, responded with his usual nonchalance.

Thomas: Must something happen for me to check on my own estate?

Asya: (chuckled) Well, considering you only seem to talk to me when something's gone wrong or I've supposedly committed a crime against the Shelby name, I thought I'd inquire.

Thomas: You have a talent for causing a stir, Asya.

She feigned innocence.

Asya: Me? Stir the pot? Never.

Thomas, smirking, leaned against a stable post.

Thomas: And yet, here we are.

Asya, feigning offense, quipped.

Asya: I must be a terrible wife if you only seek my company in times of chaos.

Thomas paused, the hint of a more serious expression crossing his face.