20. Jealousy

Scene 1

Thomas sat behind his imposing desk in his dimly lit office, a cigar between his lips. Johnny Dogs, nursing a black eye and sporting a bandaged arm, sat across him. He was beaten up badly, so he stayed in the mansion until he felt better.

Thomas: (narrowing his eyes) Johnny, care to explain what happened yesterday? My wife catching you with a maid is not the kind of publicity I need. Who was it? Maisie or Clara?

Johnny: (shyly) .......Sandra.

Thomas rolled his eyes.

Johnny Dogs: (grimacing) Thomas, I didn't expect Asya to walk in like that. I'm here to recover from the injuries, not create a scandal.

Thomas: (leaning forward) You're under my roof, Johnny. Your antics reflect on me. Keep your affairs private or take them elsewhere. Asya doesn't need to be dragged into this mess. She had a trauma yesterday.

Johnny Dogs: (apologetic) Yeah.........she screamed a little when she saw us. Look, it won't happen again. I promise.

Thomas: We can't have her thinking our house is turning into a circus.

Johnny nodded.

Thomas, mid-conversation with Johnny Dogs, caught a glimpse through the window of Asya and Charlie enjoying a picnic in the garden. A rare smile tugged at the corners of his lips.

Scene 2

A checkered blanket on the lush green grass in the garden, arranging a delightful picnic for herself and baby Charlie.

Asya: (talking to Charlie) Alright, Charlie, let's make this the best picnic ever

Asya: (talking to Charlie) Alright, Charlie, let's make this the best picnic ever. I got all your favorite snacks here.

She carefully placed an array of finger foods on the blanket – fresh fruit slices, small sandwiches, and bite-sized treats.

Asya: (smiling) Look, sweetheart, we've got strawberries, just like the ones Grandpa used to grow back in our farm. And here's a little sandwich for you. What do you think?