That's a Lot of Bowls

Chapter 4: That's a Lot of Bowls

Word count: 2061

Manga chapters: none

"This is the best the Leaf Village has to offer?" I questioned, looking at the dreadful details before me. The room was minimal in design and the roof was riddled with cracks and mold, it present at all the edges. It was an open space with a single door to a shower and toilet. All in all, terrible, but not the worst. 

"Well sor~ry, but it's short notice. Besides, it's close to everything, the village is literally all around you." He took a little more of the room in and tried to hide his cringe. I smiled knowing I'd made my point. "You should get something to eat, you did just get out of the hospital after all." 

"You're probably right," I placed Shimo on the ground, watching her as she enjoyed stretching herself out on the tatami flooring. 

"Shoot, it's a drag, but I need to go meet my team. I'm already late. Do you think you can manage finding food on your own?"  

"Don't stress it, I know how to navigate new terrain." I thought about it for a moment, "I was in hospital for a while, I can imagine that Shimo would like to spend more time outside anyway, as would I, really."

Shikamaru accepted my words and began his lazy disappearance, waving a goodbye as the room's threshold.   
As a click was heard I turned to Shimo, "so, girl, what shall we do?" She sat down and I took that as her answer. "We're staying in here for a while, then?" 

I chuckled as I moved to the cupboard in the room and retrieved the futon, laying it on the ground next her. The two of us crawled onto it together and even went so far as to lay a blanket over our bodies, a bed really was comfort to us. 

As we settled in the exhaustion from the day came over me and I fell into slumber, Shimo breathing gently by my arm. 

~

When I awoke later than evening the sky was dark and covered in black fairy floss. The heavens were screaming against the roof. I blinked and squirmed when I felt water seep into my eye, a rain droplet having crawled through the cracks of the celing. 

Shimo rose with me and began acting crazed, her actions so violent that she landed on my stomach and chest once or twice. I winced as I sat up, following Shimo's movements as she dashed to the window. 

I crawled after her and began to pet close to her ears. She settled a little and I peered behind the curtain Shimo had been attacking. There wasn't anything at the window seal so I turned my gaze to the lap lit street below. There I saw the reason for Shimo's erratic behaviour. 

On the opposite side of the street stood a man of ghastly clothing. His thin frame was decorated in a pale blue and white striped suit, with white shoes, a matching shirt and striped top hat. His hand held a small orange flame, its shape circling as it floated in the air. Sensing my gaze he looked towards my window, the flame prevailing through the heavy water, shadowed the rest of his face. 

He truly was a figure of terror.

I backed away from the window so violently that I stumbled over Shimo, squashing her paw and causing her to yelp. I continued and yanked my backpack over my left arm, placing Shimo in my right and almost squishing her to my chest. I exited the hotel and ran, dodging the odd person who was out after the sun had set. For seven o'clock there were a lot of people out. 

My breathing was rapid and I could feel the panic overtaking my features, Shimo whimpering as I held her too tightly. I continued with my fast pace for a long while, only stopping when I collapsed. I was near a forest again and that alone was comforting.