We're All Having Issues

Chapter 14: We're All Having Issues

Word count: 1907

Manga chapters: 493 - 495

Waking in a foreign place is never a nice experience. In the years I'd been on my own I'd grown use to it, but sometimes I still found myself experiencing moments of panic. And then I'd remember Shimo, her small snout pressed up against the side of my arm, then I'm able to breathe again.

Opening my eyes, a dark sky light above me, I felt the same panic, the black railing in between the glass panels of the sky window reminding me of the bars which had kept me prisoner in my youth. Without warning I leapt across the space in the room, crashing into the door and jerking it open. As the it pulled away at my will I felt a rush of relief and slumped against the wooden barrier which surrounded the door.

I wasn't locked in.

With my surroundings slowly coming into focus I noticed Shimo, poised and nervous behind me, creaking across the bed as she noticed my muscle slowly loosen and calm. It took her a moment but she was quick to join my side and hop into my arms. I was more than grateful for her.

There was another loud noise from the end of the hall which dragged my attention away. Still alarmed I stepped back into my room and out of view, waiting to see who entered the floor.

The first of the footsteps to continue around the corner belonged to Naruto, the usually hyperactive teen being surprisingly subdued. It was almost worrying. Before I had the chance to speak to him Yamato Sensei appeared. I wasn't too eager to talk to Yamato after the dream I'd just had, opting to stay in the shadows a few moments longer. I didn't have a problem with the sensei, it was just that we were new to each other and there hadn't been much trust shared between us, yet.

Before either had travelled too far into their respective rooms Gai Sensei appeared, announcing the end of their trio. He toppled to the side a little and released a mighty groan. Apparently he was still unable to shake the feeling of being at sea. He was in for a fun trip.

Gai, cladded in his usual green attire, retreated to his own room and slammed the door after him. His violent behaviour caught the attention of both Naruto and Yamato, the latter giving pause.

"I think I'll see how he's going before I retire for the night. Make sure you get some rest too, Naruto."

The yellow ninja failed to acknowledge Yamato, lost in his own world of thought. "Hey, don't worry about it too much. I'm sure you'll be able to handle whatever you saw, Naruto. It was a mirror of yourself, but, who knows you, better than you?"

Yamato had attempted a joke, but neither myself - who was still 'cleverly' hidden - or Naruto found any amusement in his words. Naruto gave our sensei a small nod before watching Yamato disappear into Gai Sensei's room, his moans of agony audible again with the door open.

Naruto stayed motionless for a great many seconds after Yamato's departure and I was growing concerned. As any friend would, I announced my presence, stepping forth from the shadows it'd been hiding in. I wanted to be subtle, I wanted to break the ice gently, so, a cough it was.

"Something troubling you, kiiro? You're looking a little down." Even with the cough as aid my voice startled Naruto so much that his body visibly jumped, propelling him into the corridor wall, chakra having been added subconsciously. I nearly laughed.

"Ayako, you're here?" Naruto spoke his words with such a formality that I was almost hurt, but I quickly dismissed the idea and refused to dwell on it.

Attachment is dangerous, I had to remind myself.

"Where else would I be? Besides, I - I couldn't sleep." I stuttered, remembering the crude awakening I'd had as well. Lately, I wasn't the luckiest in the sleep department and it was beginning to show. Fortunately, Shimo was the only one to really notice it.