The Nightmare

Ayako's POV

"You ungrateful - spineless - dirty - lazy - little - kid!" The man stood before me, towering over my crumpled body. "Why - are - you - even - here?" He asked before spitting at me, managing to land on my head. I let out an involuntary whimper and curled my body into itself even more, hiding my face from him. "You disgust me." This time saying the words without a pause, saving my body from a few less punches.

"Stop! What are you doing to her?" A woman cried, Chizuko.

"Get away, or do you want to end up like her?" The man shouted to his wife. She stared at the brown and silver clothing in the man's hand, a magnificent belt of hand crafted leather and silver buckle, before she raced over to me, placing her hands on my starved shoulders. I flinched.

The man yelled, outraged. Suddenly he exited the room, leaving the sounds of crashing in his wake.

"Hey, Ayako, shhh. It's okay, I'll get you out of here." Chizuko petted me head and tried to pull me up, having to detangle my limps from each other. After a moment I was standing up, my arms clinging to her body.

Without warning her husband walked back into the room, holding the food Chizuko had been preparing, a large pot of boiling pasta. He raced over to the small pile of bodies we were and shoved Chizuko away. Suddenly something was poured over me, the bottom of the silver pasta pot visible.

I screamed out, my body burning. I blacked out just as an enormous growl ran through the room, the rain outside the window continued to crash down.

I awoke violently, my body slashing against the bed. I was screaming out across the room and spraying my limbs around under the covers. I felt a pressure against my stomach and noticed that a white ball of fur was moving about, my brain slowly realising that Shimo was with me. My back was slick with sweat, almost sticking to my bed pressed against the matted floor. Patting Shimo, I tried to sooth both of us.

"It's okay girl, just a nightmare." And it was, the world outside my window still black. I dipped my head into Shimo's fur, breathing in her familiar sent. "Not a very fun one, though. Don't suppose you know the time?" I joked, teasing her. She grumbled a little at me, snuggling further into my stomach.

"Think I'll take a shower, stay here, okay?" Placing her on the blanket I stood up and walked to the small bathroom the room held, slipping in once the water was warm enough. A few minutes later I stepped out of the shower, feeling only a little better after being cleaned and dressed. I spent a few moments doing up my bandages, covering my burn painted arms, a few scabs still present. I always managed to aggravate the scars.

The sun began to rise as I walked back to where Shimo waited, her head lying upon a heap of pail blanket. Hearing my entrace she turned her head and stood up, prancing over to me.

"Shall we see if anyone's awake in this village?" She let out a short yap of approval, already trotting across to the door, her paws crunching against the straw flooring. The handle was cold as I pulled the small blue rusted door aside, opening the room up to the world outside. Walking as quietly as possible Shimo and I made it to the street in no time, heading down the familiar turns and curves, greeting the few people who'd met my eye.

Today Shimo and I were planned to leave, our few possessions already packed back in our apartment. The village was slowly coming to life with activity, people waking up with the rise of the sun. As the morning continued Shimo and I finished the walk, returning back to our tiny apartment. Grabbing my small backpack I wrapped it around my shoulders and left, walking down to meet the couple who owned the small structure I'd been living in.

The husband, a medium built man with greying hair, was standing behind a desk like table and observing the street outside the window. Quietly I approached him, smiling in greeting when he noticed me. "Hi, I'm going to be leaving for a while so I won't need my room."

"Really, why's that?" The man asked, straightening up to talk to me.

"I'm leaving the village on a mission, of sorts. So feel free to rent the room out to others again." I smiled to the man, already leaving the room and building, making my way to the street. Having already paid my fee the man happily shouted goodbye, watching me as I exited.

Still morning, Shimo and I made a dash for the gates of the village, ready to meet up with the few people who'd be going with Naruto and I. Already waiting and eager, Naruto stood by with two other people, bags packed. Glancing around every few seconds Naruto finally noticed me as I stepped to within a few meters of him.

"He~y Aya! Ready to go?" He cheered, his constant perky attitude seeping through his to his conversation.

"Yep, I'm all set. Who we still waiting for?" I spared a look around the area, taking in as much as I could. Thinking about it I realised it'd be a rare occasion should I return through the gates of this village.

"Yamato Sensei. Once he gets here we'll be able to leave. Are you excited?" He asked.

"A little, learning to summon a dragon might be cool." I shrugged my shoulders and stepped a little closer to the group, trying to include everyone. A few minutes later and Yamato had joined us, initiating our departure.

Like most of my journeys, this one was long, the group having only managed to leave the land of fire after four days. The day we finally managed to pass the border was a clouded one, the world around us the least alive it had been since the start of our journey. The air was the coldest it had been, I could feel the sharp sting on my arms whenever they brushed against leaves which still held their morning dew.

Surprisingly, Shimo hadn't complained too much during the trip, Naruto being the most annoying out of everyone. Today I was awoken, a lot like usual, by Shimo licking my face. Groggily I sat up and looked around the camp, finding only one of the teammates awake and sitting on the far side of the camp, looking away. As I moved to leave, the man sitting looked over, exchanging a small greeting with me, before I went on my way, dashing behind a few bushes and moving to stretch my limbs, Shimo close on my heals.

She led me away, prancing about between the trees and shrubs, stopping at places that pleased her. I wrapped my arms around my chest, pulling my jumping closer whenever a wind swept through the area. Suddenly Shimo raced through several bushes, scaring a few birds into flight, a chain reaction following through the forest. On the other side of the bushes which Shimo had jumped through was a small clearing, the trees having parted in an almost perfect circle.

Not creepily, at all, was a stone like seat in the middle of the clearing, two smaller ones on either side. Curious, I walked forward to the stone structure, stopping short about a meter away. Shimo was pressed against my leg and warming it. I blinked and jumped backward, three new figures now sitting before me, a woman and two men. The three patterned people were with me again.

"Well now, here we are." The lady said, sitting forward from her place in the middle of the men. "So, Aya. You ready to learn a bit more about dragons?"

A/N:

Hi everyone, so I'm sorry this is a week and a day late. I planned to have this up yesterday, but I had to completely re-write it (I had no idea where it was going) so this is what I did.

Hope you all are feeling great and fabulous!

Reads: 281, Votes: 15.

Gabrielle xx