Chapter 2

It's another week before Madam Pomfrey concedes, releasing me from the Hospital with strict instructions for the rest of my healing. I have a host of potions to take and ointments to apply. She lets me out just in time for dinner on Sunday.

Instead of heading for the Great Hall, I begin to make my way to the library. I had sent Hermione and Neville away for dinner shortly before the Hospital's Matron came to release me, meaning that everyone still assumed I was stuck in the Wing for another night. My walk across the castle is slow, needing to stop every couple of minutes for a few deep breaths.

Eventually, I shuffle through the double doors, waving to Madam Pince as I move deeper into the library. I lean my weight on the shelves as I walk, using a Point Me charm to lead the way to the book I'm in search of. I find myself deep in the shelves, close to the Restricted Section. Muttering the spell one more time, my wand leads me to the end of the row, by a beautiful stained glass window, a wooden desk sitting beneath it. I lean down, seeing an old leather bound book at the back of the shelf. I tug it out, standing up once more. I take a moment to catch my breath, the pain in my torso becoming greater from bending. As I breathe through the pain, I admire the window. It depicts a doe and stag grazing in a field against a sunny sky. There are clusters of daffodils across the landscape and the weather seems to model that of the Hogwarts grounds.

Taking another deep breath, I take a seat at the desk, laying the book before me. The Pureblood Directory . Written by one of my ancestors, Cantankerous Nott. It lists the families included in the Sacred 28 and gives a brief history on each. This should hopefully be a good starting point in figuring out what to do about my newfound heritage. I had yet to tell anyone, nervous of the reaction I would receive. Our conversations over the last week tiptoed around the battle at the Department of Mysteries, though Hermione had filled me in on all that had happened after my injury. She and Tonks had dragged me out of the line of fire while Shacklebolt had taken down a Death Eater trying to get to me, it had to have been Lord Nott. Then Sirius' death and Harry's confrontation with Voldemort that had followed. She and Ron had told me that Harry had been a wreck the week following the events. Ron had confided in me later that he had been overwhelmed between Harry and Hermione's grief. He couldn't figure out how to help them both.

I focus back in on the book, flipping through the first few pages of pureblood drivel before finding the Nott's family history. Theirs was more extensive than the others, lending credence to the author's heritage.

"Finally managed to drag yourself out of the Hospital Wing, Granger?" I jump at the sudden intrusion, not having heard anyone approach. I look up from the directory, seeing Malfoy standing before me, blocking the exit to the aisle. He approaches with a smirk. "Cat got your tongue?"

"What do you want, Malfoy? I don't really have time to trade insults with you at the moment." I shift slightly as I turn in the desk chair, trying to hide the book. The Slytherin's eyes narrow at the movement, suspicion crossing his features. Faster than I can anticipate, he moves toward me, leaning over and bracing an arm each on the chair and the desk, effectively trapping me in the seat. His gaze settles on the pages before me, scanning their contents, before his eyes trail back to mine with a raised brow.

"You know." It's not a question. I try not to let the fear that strikes through me show on my face.

"I have no idea what you're talking about." My voice is a few octaves higher than normal. "Back up, Malfoy."

He leans closer, leaving us only a few inches apart. "I don't think so, Cassandra ."

Fury fills me as the name leaves his lips. I push against his chest, trying to separate us. A pained sound leaves me, my arms immediately dropping. "Get...Away...From me." I gasp out through deep breaths, holding one hand to my chest and the other on the desk to steady myself. Malfoy's eyebrows furrow at my pain.