Chapter 2

Rathore Mansion••••••

Author POV:

Everyone is sitting in the dining room. Abhiraj (Abhimaan's grandpa) is seated in the main chair, eating silently. Ekansh and Anika are talking and eating with each other, as are Kabir and Kavita. Meanwhile, Aadhya and Krish are engaged in a playful argument, and Ishaan is resolving their dispute. Aditya and Vihaan are discussing about business. This is the daily morning routine at Rathore Mansion.

As Abhiram Singh Rathore entered the dining room, a hush fell over everyone. The servant provided him with food, and he ate silently, as he preferred no conversation during meals. "Abhiram," Abhiraj addressed. "Ji, Dadaji," Abhiram responded. "I want to talk to you. Meet me in my office," Abhiraj requested. "Okay," he agreed, and after finishing his meal, he headed to his office, only his Dadaji(Grandpa) is allowed to call him by his name; everyone else calls him Hukum and his sibling and cousin call him bhai(brother).

He knocked on Dadaji's office door. "Come, Abhiram," Dadaji said. "Sit, I want to talk to you," he continued, and Abhiram took a seat. "Actually, I have a friend who passed away 12 years ago, and at that time, he asked me to take care of his granddaughter and marry her to you. She is a beautiful, intelligent girl-perfect to be the queen of Rajasthan. So, you are going to marry her," Abhiraj stated.

"Dadaji, I respect you, but that doesn't mean I'm going to marry. You know about my past very well. If she's anything like her, I don't want to marry anyone. How can you be so sure she isn't a gold digger?" Abhiram responded coldly, fuming with anger.

"First of all, not all girls are the same. I know about your past, but that doesn't mean you will not marry anyone. As for the girl, she is perfect for you. I've known her since she was born, and also you said you would fulfill everything I asked, so consider it my last wish. My health is not good nowadays, and I don't know how much time is left," Abhiraj emotionally appealed, using the trick he knew worked on him.

"Okay, I will marry her, but don't expect me to love her. I'll fulfill all my responsibilities as a husband except loving her," Abhiram responded coldly. "We will see about that. Tomorrow, we are going to see her at lunch, so you are not going to the office," Abhiraj insisted. "Fine," Abhiram said and left the room.

In the office, everyone is aware that their boss is angry, and no one dare to approach him. However, some are compelled to interact with him due to work requirements. This has led to several employees getting fired and some of them is dealing with their boss temper.

Abhiram is working furiously, channeling his anger onto his employees. Suddenly, there's a knock on the door. "Come in," Abhiram says coldly. "What are you doing here, Piyush?" Abhiram asks without looking up.

"I came to know my bro is very angry, and if I didn't come, the whole company would be empty as you fire all the employees," Piyush says.

"Get out, I'm not in the mood to talk," Abhiram replies coldly, looking up. "Bro, at least tell me what happened. Don't be rude; I am your only friend," Piyush insists while sitting. "Dadaji wants me to get married, and tomorrow I am going to see her," Abhiram says angrily and coldly.

"Congratulations, bro! Finally, you are going to settle," Piyush says excitedly. "Shut up, Piyush. I don't want to marry; I cannot love her," Abhiram declares. "Bro, chill yaar. I know Bade Hukum chose a perfect match. Don't think about the past," Piyush advises.

Despite Piyush's attempt to lighten the mood, Abhiram remains consumed by frustration. "You don't understand, Piyush. I can't just forget the past," Abhiram says, his tone still harsh.

Piyush leans back, realizing the depth of Abhiram's reluctance. "Bro, sometimes life surprises us. Maybe this is an opportunity for a fresh start," Piyush suggests.

Abhiram scoffs, "Fresh start? I've built everything on my own terms. Now, they want to tie me down with marriage. It's ridiculous."

Piyush, with a reassuring smile, says, "Maybe it's not about tying you down but finding someone who complements your journey. Give it a chance, bro."

Abhiram remains silent, contemplating the upcoming meeting that could alter the course of his life.

Piyush persists, "Bro, sometimes the unexpected turns out to be exactly what we need. You've faced challenges before and conquered them. Maybe this is just another challenge leading to something greater."

Abhiram, still immersed in his inner turmoil, grumbles, "I don't need anyone to complete me. I've managed just fine on my own."

Piyush leans forward, earnestly saying, "I get it, but life is about evolving. Maybe this is an opportunity for both of you to grow together."

Abhiram, though not fully convinced, softens a bit. "I just don't want to be forced into something I'm not ready for, Piyush."

Piyush nods, understandingly, "Take it one step at a time, bro. Who knows, this could be the beginning of something remarkable."

"I'll go through the motions, but don't expect me to suddenly embrace this," he mutters, still fixated on his work.

Piyush, ever the optimist, pats Abhiram on the back. "That's the spirit, bro. Life has a way of surprising us, and who knows, this might turn out to be a pleasant surprise." "We'll see," he responds, returning to his tasks, and Piyush left the room.

At 11 PM, Abhiram returned home after a long day at work, dining alone with a meal served by a servant, as the rest of the family having already finished dinner at 9 PM. Once done, he retired to his room, changing into more comfortable attire before lying on the bed. The events of the day echoed in his mind, and the weight of the decisions ahead lingered in the stillness of the night.

As he stared at the ceiling, a mixture of apprehension and curiosity filled his thoughts. Tomorrow morning held the promise of change, a departure from the familiar course he had charted for himself. The prospect of merging his life with another's lingered in the air, creating ripples of uncertainty and newfound expectations.

In the calm of the night, surrounded by the hushed whispers of the mansion, Abhiram eventually drifted into a restless sleep. His dreams became a realm where the past, present, and an uncertain future intermingled, leaving him with a sense of both disquiet and the potential for unexpected joy.