Chapter 10

Siya POV:

The entire week passed in the blink of an eye, and I started going to college. Today, in the evening, Abhiram is coming back. As I reflect on the week, the hustle and bustle of college life have kept me on my toes. From lectures to new acquaintances, each day brought its own set of experiences and Abhiram's family is amazing they are like my own family.

While attending college, I discreetly hide my Mangalsutra inside my top and arrange my hair to cover my vermillion, ensuring no one in college knows I'm married. Only my best friend Divi (Divya) knows. She urges me to introduce her to Abhiram, but I make excuses, not revealing that he left for a business meeting just one day after our wedding. I keep this truth hidden, as sharing it would likely upset and anger her and she surely not spare him.

It's not that I'm ashamed to tell my friends about my marriage; I actually want to share it with them. However, Abhiram mentioned that nobody outside of our families knows about our wedding. It seems like keeping it private is important to him, so I've respected his wishes and haven't disclosed it to my friends.

I cooked dinner for everyone, and we were all eager for Abhiram's return. As the wait extended until 10 pm, we decided to have dinner without him. The plan now is to enjoy breakfast together in the morning when Abhiram is back.

I waited for Abhiram's return, even though he mentioned not to wait for him. It's not about following old traditions; it's a personal choice. I can't bring myself to eat when someone in my family, hasn't eaten yet. It's not a role-based thing; it's just a way I've always connected with my family. I believe in sharing meals together, and it feels incomplete if someone is missing from the table.

After dinner, I retreated to my room, engrossed in a romantic novel. The clock struck 12, and that's when Abhiram returned.

"Why are you awake at this hour?" Abhiram asked.

"I am waiting for you," I replied.

"Didn't I ask you not to wait for me?" he questioned.

"It's my choice. If I want to wait, I will wait, and if I don't want to, I won't," I asserted.

"Whatever," he said.

"You freshen up; I'll heat up the food," I replied. I went to the kitchen to warm the food, knowing he prefers to eat separately. After waiting for so long, I wasn't in the mood to eat. In my dad's house, I'm used to having a less meal, usually just once a day. After providing the food to Abhiram, exhaustion took over, and I decided to call it a night.

Two days passed since Abhiram returned. We haven't talked much, and he usually comes home late. I wait for him, give him dinner, and then eat mine because he prefers not to eat together.

After returning from college, the household is buzzing with activity as we collectively prepare for Karwa Chauth. The tunes of music add to the excitement, creating a festive ambiance. It's heartening to see not only me but also chachu and Papa also keep fast for chachi and maa.

"Beta, wear this saree and jewelry," maa
said with a smile. Accepting her suggestion, I head to my room to change into the traditional attire, ready to embrace the cultural significance of Karwa Chauth.

After changing, I descended the stairs. "Bhabhi maa, you look very beautiful," Aadhu complimented. Krish teased, "Aree bhabhi maa kiski ke hai?" (Hey, whose sister-in-law is she) To which, my mom responded with a smile, "Beta, bahut pyari lag rahi ho."(Dear, you're looking very lovely.) As everyone awaited the sighting of the moon, my uncle Chachu amusingly asked dadaji,"Papa, yeh chand kab nikalega? Mujhe bahut bhook lag rahi hai."(Dad, when will the moon come out? I'm feeling very hungry.)1 Laughter echoed in the room, creating a joyous atmosphere filled with light-hearted banter.