Chapter 31

The sterile white environment of the hospital room enveloped Kenzo as he lay propped up by pillows, the bandaged side a constant reminder of the recent ordeal. His sharp, teal eyes held a glint of boredom, and a thin scar ran across his bicep—a memoir from his battle with stain.The dull hum of medical equipment and the antiseptic scent created an atmosphere of clinical detachment, a stark contrast to Kenzo's vibrant energy yearning for the familiar streets of his city.

Restlessness flickered in his eyes as he addressed the medical staff, the defiance evident. "Come on, guys, I feel fine. I've been through worse."

The head nurse, kind-eyed and middle-aged, shook her head. "Mr. Ikari, you may be a hero, but that doesn't exempt you from the healing process. You've undergone surgery, and your body needs time to recover."

Frustration etched across Kenzo's face. "I appreciate what you're doing, but I can't just lie around here. There's work to be done, criminals to stop."

A younger nurse, a fan of his, spoke up with a shy smile. "We're big fans, Mr. Ikari. But even heroes need to take a break sometimes. Think of it as a chance to recharge and come back even stronger."

The head nurse nodded in agreement. "Besides, the doctors need to monitor your progress. Your health is our priority."

Kenzo sighed, realizing he was outnumbered. "Alright, alright, I get it. But I'm not staying here any longer than necessary."

As the nurses continued their rounds, Kenzo couldn't shake off the sense of restlessness. Encouraging messages from friends and fellow heroes flashed on his phone, momentarily lifting his spirits. Shin, concerned, entered the room with a furrowed brow.

"You doing okay, Kenz?" Shin asked, concern etched on his face.

Kenzo managed a half-smile. "As good as I can be, considering. But I need to get out of here, Shin. There's so much to do."

Shin chuckled. "The doctors won't budge, will they?"

Kenzo rolled his eyes. "They say I have to rest."

Shin shook his head. "Stubborn as always. But seriously, take the time to recover. We'll handle things here for now."

Kenzo sighed, reluctantly accepting the reality of his situation. The hospital bed became an unexpected sanctuary, offering a momentary pause in the relentless rhythm of heroism.

Shin left to take a phone call from a buyer and just as Kenzo's eyes were about to shut, a knock sounded on the door.

Aizawa and All Might entered the room, their expressions a mix of concern and tiredness. Aizawa, folding his arms, got straight to the point. "Ikari, care to explain what happened?"

Kenzo provided a concise summary, and feeling a surge of determination, expressed his desire to be part of the investigation.

Aizawa shot him a stern look. "You're not going anywhere until you're cleared by the doctors. Understood?"

Kenzo sighed in reluctant agreement. "Fine, but don't take too long. The longer I'm stuck in here, the more the city is at risk."

All Might reassured him, "We'll do our best, Ikari. The hero community is resilient, and we'll overcome this challenge together."

Maintaining his usual stoic expression, Aizawa fixed his gaze on Kenzo. "Ikari, focus on your recovery. We'll handle the investigation. Don't cause any trouble."

Joining the banter as he entered the room, Shin added, "Yeah, maybe they hired the shooter just to get a break from your antics."

Aizawa raised an eyebrow, his dry humour intact. "The humorous best friend. Just what I needed in the middle of an investigation."