Chapter 44

...

The crisp morning air brushed against Kenzo's face as he stepped out onto the bustling streets of Mustafu, the familiar sounds of the city greeting him like an old friend. He pulled the brim of his cap lower over his eyes, grateful for the small semblance of anonymity it provided as he set off on his morning walk.

As he rounded a corner, a quaint flower shop caught his eye, its colorful display of blooms spilling out onto the sidewalk in a riot of hues and scents. A pang of longing tugged at Kenzo's heart as he thought of Fuyumi, her gentle spirit and love for all things beautiful resonating deeply within him.

As Kenzo entered the quaint flower shop, the sweet scent of blossoms enveloped him in a comforting embrace, momentarily easing the weight of the previous night's events. His eyes scanned the colorful array of blooms, each one more vibrant and beautiful than the last, and he couldn't help but feel a sense of calm wash over him.

His gaze settled on a delicate bouquet of tulips, their petals a soft shade of pink that reminded him of Fuyumi's gentle smile. With a faint smile tugging at the corners of his lips, Kenzo approached the counter, his cap pulled low to conceal his features.

"Excuse me, how much are these tulips?" he asked, his voice soft and unassuming.

The shopkeeper glanced up from her work, her eyes widening in surprise as she took in the familiar face before her. "Oh my goodness, you're... you're Aero, aren't you?" she exclaimed, her voice filled with excitement.

Kenzo shifted uncomfortably under the sudden attention, offering a sheepish smile. "Uh, yeah, that's me," he admitted, scratching the back of his neck nervously. "Sorry, I'm just trying to keep a low profile today."

The shopkeeper's eyes sparkled with delight as she leaned in closer, her voice dropping to a conspiratorial whisper. "I won't tell anyone, I promise," she assured him, her smile warm and genuine. "But it's not every day that the number four hero visits my little shop. What can I do for you?"

Kenzo chuckled softly, feeling a sense of gratitude for the shopkeeper's discretion. "I'd like to buy these tulips, please," he said, gesturing toward the bouquet on the counter. "They're for someone special."

The shopkeeper nodded understandingly, ringing up the purchase with practised ease. "That'll be 3000 yen," she said, handing Kenzo the bouquet with a smile. "And thank you for choosing our shop. It's an honour to have you here."

Kenzo returned the smile, offering his thanks before slipping out of the shop, the tulips cradled carefully in his arms. As he made his way back onto the bustling streets of Mustafu, he couldn't shake the feeling of warmth that the encounter had left him with, a reminder that even in the midst of chaos, there were still moments of kindness and connection to be found.

...

Kenzo took a deep breath as he stood before the door of the Todoroki household, the bouquet of tulips held tightly in his grasp. He raised his hand to knock on the door, feeling a mixture of nervousness and anticipation coursing through him. Moments later, the door swung open, revealing Shoto Todoroki standing on the other side.

Shoto's expression remained as stoic as ever as he regarded his teacher with a deadpan stare. "Hello, Ikari-sensei," he greeted, his voice neutral.

"Hey, Todoroki," Kenzo replied with a sheepish grin, trying to mask the butterflies fluttering in his stomach. "Is Yumi home?"

"Yumi?" Shoto muttered under his breath, his gaze flickering briefly to the bouquet of tulips in Kenzo's hand before slowly returning to meet his teacher's eyes. "Yes, she's in the living room," he answered, stepping aside to allow Kenzo entry.