Chapter 9

...

It was Kenzo's first day as a teacher at UA.

He rolled out of bed, his blonde hair sticking out in unruly tufts. Kenzo Ikari, still half in the realm of dreams, face-planted onto the floor, his first act of the day not exactly graceful.

Groaning, he pushed himself up, his fatigued blue eyes squinting against the intrusion of the morning light filtering through the blinds. His toned body, a product of years spent in both the hero and underground fight scenes, moved with a languid fluidity as he stood and stretched, attempting to shake off the remnants of sleep.

After a shower that seemed more like a battle against fatigue, Kenzo emerged, his wet blonde hair now tamed into a somewhat orderly disarray. Opting for comfort, he slipped into a pair of grey sweatpants and a fitted black t-shirt, carrying a briefcase with his hero costume.

With a last sip of coffee, he checked the time. The first day at UA awaited, and Kenzo, despite the reluctance weighing on him, knew that he couldn't afford to be late.

Sliding into the Jordan sneakers gifted by Shin on his 18th birthday, Kenzo locked his front door and descended the stairs to where his sleek Kawasaki Ninja motorbike patiently awaited.

Settling onto the motorcycle with practised ease, Kenzo ignited the engine, a resonant purr filling the morning air. Negotiating the streets with the assurance of someone intimately familiar with the machine, he headed toward UA.

Arriving at the prestigious academy, Kenzo rode through the front gates, drawing glances from curious students. The growl of the engine subsided as he parked in the teachers' lot. Disembarking, he whipped off his helmet, running a hand through his blonde waves, his gaze lifting to the imposing structure.

With his briefcase in one hand and the helmet in the other, Kenzo approached the front doors of the school, a determined stride marking the beginning of his journey as a teacher at UA.

With a quick scan of the staff ID Nezu had provided the day before, Kenzo confidently entered the school. The puzzled whispers of students followed him.

"Is there a new teacher?"

"Hey, doesn't he look familiar?"

"A teacher? He can't be. He looks our age!"

Kenzo frowned at the last remark. He was certainly not their age. In fact, he was almost two years older than the third-year students. The incongruity of his youthful appearance often led to such misconceptions.

In the administrative office, Kenzo greeted the receptionist, a familiar face from his student days.

"Good morning! How can I help you?" she asked, her eyes widening with recognition.

"Morning. I'm Kenzo Ikari, the new teacher," he replied, offering a friendly smile.

The receptionist blinked in surprise before quickly recovering. "Oh, right! Welcome back Ikari! Nezu mentioned you'd be joining the staff. Just a moment."

As Kenzo waited, he couldn't shake the feeling of being under a microscope. It seemed like some students around him were starting to recognise him from various photographs around the school. Soon enough, the secretary handed him a folder.

"Here's everything you need. Your schedule, classroom assignments, and some additional information about the school's protocols."

"Thank you," Kenzo said, flipping through the papers.

"Is there anything else you'd like to know, Mr. Ikari?"

Kenzo considered for a moment. "Actually, could you tell me where the teachers' lounge is? I'd like to settle in before my first class."