Chapter 53

...

For seven days, Kenzo had avoided work. For six days, the weight of Hana's death had pressed upon him. Three days had slipped by since he issued his warning to Mortis, and two since he uncovered Hawks' dark affiliation.

And what had Kenzo accomplished in this time? Nothing.

The truth was, Kenzo felt himself teetering on the edge of sanity. His beloved girlfriend was gone, taken by a former friend turned villain, while Hawks, a trusted friend, was revealed to be entangled with the League of Villains.

Adding to his turmoil was the cryptic message from Hawks, delivered two weeks prior, hinting at impending chaos. Thirteen days had passed since then, and still, Kenzo grappled with whether to heed the warning or dismiss it as a false alarm. The uncertainty gnawed at him, leaving him paralyzed with indecision.

Now, Kenzo found himself sprawled on the cold marble floor of his kitchen, lost in a sea of thoughts, questioning the very fabric of his existence. As his phone rang for the third time, breaking the eerie silence of his contemplation, Kenzo stirred from his reverie. With a sigh, he rose from the floor, his limbs stiff from hours of immobility. Slowly, he reached for his phone, his heart heavy with a sense of foreboding. It was time to face whatever awaited him on the other end of the line.

On the other end of the line, Aizawa's gruff voice cut through the air, a familiar comfort in the midst of Kenzo's turmoil. "Kenzo, it's Aizawa. How are you holding up?"

Kenzo's lips curved into a faint smile at the sound of his mentor's voice. "Hey, Aizawa. I'm... hanging in there," he replied, his tone heavy with exhaustion. "Just taking a moment to clear my head."

There was a brief pause before Aizawa's voice sounded again, laced with concern. "Are you lying on the floor right now? Your voice sounds muffled."

Kenzo chuckled softly, a hint of sheepishness in his tone. "Yeah, I might be," he admitted. "Just needed a change of perspective, I guess."

Aizawa sighed softly on the other end, his tone gentle yet firm. "Kenzo, I know things have been tough lately. Losing Fuyumi... it's a lot to process."

Kenzo nodded, even though Aizawa couldn't see him. "Yeah, it's been... overwhelming," he admitted, his voice barely above a whisper.

"But you're not alone, Kenzo," Aizawa reassured him, his voice unwavering. "We're all here for you. And if you ever need to talk, I'm just a phone call away."

Kenzo felt a swell of gratitude wash over him, a warmth spreading through his chest. "Thanks, Aizawa-sensei. I really appreciate it," he said sincerely, his voice choked with emotion.

Aizawa's voice came through the phone again, more urgent this time. "Kenzo, there's another reason I called you. I'm on my way to your place right now. We're heading to the police station in Hosu."

Kenzo's brows furrowed in confusion. "The police station? What's going on?"

"We've had a major breakthrough," Aizawa explained, the tension evident in his voice. "Highly ranked heroes are gathering there for a short meeting. We're planning a raid on the base of the Paranormal Liberation Front."

Kenzo's heart skipped a beat at the news, a surge of adrenaline coursing through his veins. "A raid? Are you serious?"

"Dead serious," Aizawa confirmed, his tone resolute. "We've been waiting for an opportunity like this, and now we finally have it. There's more than 300 heroes and heroes-in-training taking part."

Kenzo's mind raced with a whirlwind of emotions – excitement, apprehension, determination. This was it – a chance to strike back against the villains who had wreaked havoc on his life, who had taken everything from him.