Chapter 51

...

As Kenzo stepped up to the podium, the weight of grief and anguish hung heavy on his shoulders, evident in the tremble of his hands and the sorrow etched into every line of his face. The room fell into a hushed silence, the air thick with anticipation as reporters leaned forward, their cameras poised to capture every word.

"Thank you all for being here," Kenzo began, his voice strained with emotion. "I stand before you today not as the number 4 hero, but as a man consumed by grief and heartache."

A murmur rippled through the crowd, a wave of sympathy washing over them as they sensed the depth of Kenzo's pain.

"My beloved Fuyumi... she was taken from us far too soon," Kenzo continued, his voice catching on the words. "She was... she was the light of my life, my everything. And now she's gone."

Tears welled up in Kenzo's eyes, threatening to spill over as he struggled to maintain his composure.

"I know many of you have questions," he said, his voice trembling with emotion. "Questions about how this could happen, about what I plan to do next."

A chorus of voices erupted from the crowd, a barrage of questions and demands for answers.

Kenzo took a deep breath, steeling himself against the overwhelming tide of emotions threatening to engulf him. "I promise you this," he declared, his voice ringing with conviction. "I will not rest until Mortis is brought to justice. Until she pays for the heinous crime she has committed."

The room erupted into applause, a swell of support and solidarity washing over Kenzo as he stood resolute in the face of adversity.

"But I cannot do this alone," Kenzo continued, his voice steadying as he met the gaze of each reporter in the room. "I need your help. If anyone has any information about Mortis's whereabouts, please come forward. Together, we can ensure that no one else suffers at her hands."

The press conference drew to a close, but the resolve in Kenzo's eyes remained unwavering. As he stepped away from the podium, a sense of determination burned within him, driving him forward in his quest for justice.

For Fuyumi. For himself. And for all those who had been touched by her light.

As Shin's small car rumbled down the dimly lit streets, the gentle hum of the engine provided a comforting backdrop to the heavy silence that hung between them. Kenzo sat slumped in the passenger seat, his shoulders hunched and his gaze fixed on some distant point beyond the window.

As the weight of his grief threatened to crush him, tears streamed down Kenzo's cheeks, his sobs choked with anguish. Each breath felt like a struggle, as if the weight of the world had settled upon his chest, making it hard to draw air into his lungs.

Shin glanced over at his friend, his heart aching at the sight of Kenzo's pain. Without a word, he pulled over to the side of the road and turned off the engine, the quiet settling around them like a blanket.

"Kenzo," Shin said softly, his voice barely above a whisper as he reached out to gently touch his friend's shoulder. "I'm here for you, man. Whatever you need."

Kenzo's breath hitched as he felt Shin's comforting presence beside him, a lifeline in the midst of his despair. Without a word, he turned towards his friend and buried his face in Shin's shoulder, his tears soaking through the fabric of his shirt.

For a long time, they sat there in silence, the only sound was the quiet rhythm of their breathing and the occasional sniffle from Kenzo. But in that moment, there was solace in the embrace of a friend, a reminder that even in the darkest of times, there was still light to be found in the bonds of friendship.