Chapter 61

...

Kenzo and Shin settled into the comfort of their shared living space, the events of the evening's meeting at UA still fresh in their minds.

"So, what did you think of the meeting?" Kenzo asked, his tone serious as he poured himself a glass of water.

Shin leaned back in his chair, running a hand through his hair as he considered his response. "It was pretty intense," he admitted, his expression reflecting the gravity of the situation. "With the war and all that, it's understandable that they're prioritising the safety of the students."

Kenzo nodded in agreement, taking a sip of his water before continuing. "Yeah. I cant believe im already facing a war in my first year as a hero," he conceded, his thoughts drifting to the potential dangers that lay ahead.

Shin's brow furrowed in concern as he regarded his friend. "Are you sure you're ready for this, dude? I mean, you're only 19 and this is a big responsibility." he asked, his voice laced with worry.

Kenzo's gaze hardened with determination as he met Shin's eyes. "I have to be," he replied firmly. "The safety of my students is my top priority, and I'll do whatever it takes to protect them."

Shin nodded in understanding, a sense of admiration for his friend shining in his eyes. "I know you will, Kenzo," he said quietly, his voice filled with unwavering confidence.

As they sat in the dimly lit living room, the weight of their responsibilities hung heavy in the air.

"Hey, Kenzo," Shin began, his voice unusually serious, "have you ever thought about... dying?"

Kenzo blinked in surprise, his brow furrowing in surprise as he processed the unexpected question. "Uh... well, not really," he admitted cautiously, unsure of how to respond to such a weighty question.

Shin nodded, his gaze fixed on some distant point beyond the walls of their penthouse. "It's just been on my mind lately," he explained quietly.

Kenzo's heart clenched at the vulnerability in Shin's voice, a pang of concern washing over him. "Is everything okay, Shin?" he asked gently, reaching out to place a reassuring hand on his friend's shoulder.

Shin offered him a small, albeit somewhat forced, smile. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just... thinking, I guess," he replied, his tone somewhat distant.

Kenzo's expression softened with understanding as he regarded his friend. "Well, whatever it is, you can always talk to me about it," he reassured him, his voice filled with sincerity.

Shin nodded in gratitude, his gaze meeting Kenzo's with a sense of unspoken appreciation. "Thanks, Kenzo. I appreciate that."

Kenzo's resolve strengthened at Shin's words, a silent promise forming in his heart. "And hey, I promise you, Shin," he said earnestly, his voice filled with conviction, "I won't die in this war. We'll get through it together."

A flicker of relief crossed Shin's features, his eyes shining with gratitude as he met Kenzo's unwavering gaze. "Thanks, Kenzo," he whispered softly, a weight lifting from his shoulders at the reassurance of his friend's promise.

...

The next morning, Kenzo was jolted awake by the persistent sound of loud knocking echoing throughout the penthouse. His alarm clock hadn't sounded yet, signalling it was still too early for any urgent matters. Irritated, Kenzo buried his head under the pillow, attempting to block out the noise. Grumbling in annoyance, still groggy from sleep, he resisted the urge to check the time. Whoever it was could wait.