2013-2014

As far as everyone knew, Leon Regulus was a decent student at Hogwarts.

The accurate statement was, that Leon Regulus was the best student of his year, and to prove it now he had a Headboy badge. He was also Captain of the dueling club, and rather popular... and he didn't want his family to know.

He was still staring at his letter when Mel came down for breakfast with Lily in her arms.

"Morning," she said. "Is that your letter? We can go with the Flints—"

"Get mum," Leon said, eyes never leaving his letter.

"What?"

"Get mum," he repeated. "I need to talk to her."

Mel sat her sleepy daughter on the couch and approached. "What is it?"

The young boy reacted, jumping out of his seat and holding the letter behind his back. "Get mum and then I'll tell you!" Mel stared at him and he got even more alarmed. "Do not read my thoughts!"

"I'm not!" Mel tried to hide her laughter, chasing her younger brother around the drawing room. "I wasn't snooping! I was just trying to—"

"No, don't do that! You're too smart and you'll figure out before mum!"

"Reg—"

"Oh, bugger off, I'll do it," he complained, seizing his wand. "I'm allowed to do magic now, I keep forgetting it.."

With a swift flick of his wand, his Patronus—a border collie—ran out of sight.

"Now what, you'll avoid talking to me until Mum gets the message?" Mel smirked.

"You left a minor unsupervised—and that one likes playing with fire!" Leon reminded her as he rushed upstairs.

"Oh, Reg, don't be such a—"

Someone knocked on her door then, and Mel tensed. It'd been a whole month since Harry and Ron had gone away, and she was still waiting for news. She feared opening the door to a Ministry worker holding one of those dreadful burgundy envelopes, the ones reserved to notify the relatives of a deceased Auror.

Mel walked to the door and opened it, she visibly relaxed when she realized it was Emily Flint. "Hi, love!"

"Hi," the girl looked briefly over Mel's shoulder, she was holding her Hogwarts letter. "Is Leon still here?"

"Yeah, you want me to call him?"

"Yes, please. I was on my way already when he sent me his Patronus."

"Oh!" Mel blushed. "Oh, sorry, Emi, I think my brother made a mistake—"

"Hi, hi, hi!" Reg rushed down to meet the girl and stopped Mel from talking. "You got my message?"

"Yes," she smiles, but it looks a lot different than the way she usually grins at her friends. "I was actually on my way, I got my letter."

Regulus blushes. "Me too."

"I got great news," Emily continued, looking at them with excitement. "I'm the Captain of Slytherin's Quidditch team."

"Emily! That's brilliant!" Mel beamed.

"Dad wants to organize a dinner to celebrate my promotion, he asked me to invite you and your kids if you're, you know, in the right mood—"

"Of course I am," Mel pushed aside the little sting of disappointment when she thought of Harry, missing the milestones of people they cared about.

"We'll be there," Regulus said, looking anxious. "Mel, can you excuse us?"

She looked at her brother with a raised brow, but the boy just gave her a look to urge her to leave them alone. Once again Mel concealed her mirth and stepped aside. "Sure. I'll be in the kitchen with Lily."