11. Chapter Ten: Not because of anyone or for anyone, but because of someone.

Chapter Ten: Not because of anyone or for anyone, but because of someone.

"I already know how a puppy feels in a human sweatshirt," Ria said. She was wearing Lucas's sweatshirt because her clothes were all soaked from the snow. He laughed. He gave her an I care about you look. The thought of the day flashed through his mind  , when he told her that he liked her. It was only a week ago, but in that time he realized how much she meant to him. It might seem like they never talked before, but that's not the case. There was a time when Theo often had  practices and the two of them came to cheer him on. They were always competing to see who was better. They were like kids. They hated each other, but at the same time they had something in common. Maybe it was just that hatred or all the things they have in common, but neither of them  they never realized it. Until now. Why else do you think someone would be chasing Rihanna in the park out of the blue? "Hey," she started, "I see you're mentally stuck in another world, so I'd better go to sleep. . .  . Today was too much for me."
"Okay. Goodnight Ri-ri."

"Wait, how do you know that nickname?"

"Theo told me about it once. Apparently you've had it since childhood."

"Bastard one..."

"By the way, that nickname fits you as well as my sweatshirt.  You can keep it if you want." He grinned from ear to ear. He started to blush as he realized what he had just said. But she was blushing. She was standing in the doorway. She turned around and would have left if Lucas hadn't come to  her and didn't stop her with the words: "I don't know how to start with this, but somehow I'll try... I told you in that hospital that I like you, so you figured it out sooner... But it was interrupted by a phone call and  I didn't even have a chance to tell you.  that every day I like you more and more.  I can't get you out of my head as a part of me that doesn't want to leave... I understand if you don't feel the same way, but at least I told you..." He let go of her hand. He turned his back to her. He wanted to go sit down back to the couch, but he was stopped by a pair of hands holding him from behind around the waist.  "At first I thought you were a cocky idiot, but now I see you're more of a 'hopeless romantic'..."

"That was actually an interesting compliment... But do you really like me now?" She let him go so he could turn to face her. She stared into the grain for a moment. "Isn't it strange how people change? So do I.  I changed too. Not because of anyone or for anyone, but thanks to someone. And that someone is YOU."  The moment she finished, a smile crept onto his face.  He started laughing, "What?"
"You heard right.  I changed my mind about you.  Just give it time and let's try to experience some life moments together first..."

She left the room.  Lucas stood confused in the middle of the living room.  His sister came in.  "The girl you've liked for maybe a year and a half has said she likes you and wants to spend more time with you and you're just standing there?" she said. "Damn it Lucas, what's wrong with you?  Tomorrow morning, surprise her with a bouquet of flowers and an invitation to a date. You fool!" She put him behind his ear. So this is her. His sister Jessica Salinger. The only woman who can criticize him and tell him what to do.

"Fine, but I'm going to need your help. You know very well that I can't do it alone..."

"Don't be like a kid, you already told her you like her.  You can choose the clothes yourself." She nudged him. "Very funny Jess. But I meant help choosing the flowers."

"I hope you don't want another free bouquet from me."

"But hey, we're family..."

"Ahhhhhhh.  Okay, but you'll pay me for it next time."