dodici

As soon as she sees the building of the Shang Palace, where she will meet her mother-in-law made her heart pump so hard. She was nervous in all forms, her hands were starting to sweat whilst shaking.

She approached the lady at the front door. "Reservation for Emma... Emma Benitez." she uttered, nanginginig ang boses.

The lady called someone to assist her on where Emma was. Irene was holding the bouquet of flowers that she had costumized especially for her mother-in-law. She saw the woman that birthed her husband, reading the menu seriously. This is the first time that she saw Emma in person, she was familiar with her because of Emma's portrait in the Araneta Mansion.

Umangat ang tingin ni Emma kay Irene na nakatayo sa harapan niya. Emma smiled in delight and stood up to greet her daughter-in-law.

"Darling," she mumbled and hugged Irene. It was a quick embrace.

Irene handed Emma the bouquet of flowers, ngumiti si Emma nang tinanggap ito at inamoy ang mabangong bulaklak. Emma thanked Irene. They sat down and looked at each other for quite a while. Irene made sure that she remained poised. She sat straight.

"No wonder Greggy married you, you are one gorgeous lady, Irene." sambit ni Emma na nakapag-pangiti kay Irene.

"That's wonderful to hear, Mama, thank you. It's fantastic to be finally meeting you in the flesh. I have just seen your portrait in the mansion of the Aranetas, and I can say that you are way more beautiful in person." puri ni Irene sa kanyang biyenan.

She was being really careful with her words. Every word that comes out of her mouth should be flowers and rainbows.

"My portrait? Sa mansyon? I think you're mistaken, darling." sabi ni Emma at mahinang natawa.

Irene shook her head a little. "It was you, Ma. Greggy told me. It was placed above the grand piano downstairs. I think it was painted? You looked so graceful in that portrait. Katabi pa nga 'nun ang litrato ni Greggy noong bata pa siya, if I'm not mistaken."

Emma's eyes were sparkling while listening to Irene. She was glad that there was little memory of her in that mansion.

"It must've been Patricia or Elvira who placed that. Duda ako kung si Luis o si Greggy ang naglagay 'dun, cause that's not going to happen." she chuckled. "By the way, I already ordered for us, if you don't mind."

"No problem, Mama. By the way, aren't you gonna inform Greggy about your arrival? I mean... maybe he would want to know." Irene suggested.

Emma shook her head. "Maybe not now, anak. Gregorio is angry at me, iba 'yun magalit. Enough of that... Anyway, how is Greggy treating you? How is being married to him?"

Irene nodded and immediately understood that Emma isn't that comfortable talking about those things that involve Greggy and hers rift. She answered Emma's question

"It's been well, Mama. We're both busy with work but still manage to come home to each other... Greggy's treating me well, hindi naman po niya ako binibigyan ng sakit sa ulo. He's the one who cooks, cleans the penthouse sometimes, and comes to do grocery shopping with me. He's taking the husband's duties kind of seriously..." natawang sabi ni Irene.

Matamis na ngumiti si Emma. "That's great to hear! I am very thrilled to hear that. Thank heavens that he's not becoming like his father,"

Irene laughed. "Bugnutin rin po minsan... is Papa Luis seloso po? Like noon, if you don't mind me asking."

Emma hummed like she was thinking of the old times. "I don't really recall Luis getting jealous, kasi most of the time I was with him. Why seloso ba si Greggy?"