Chapter 4: Danger Room

Where Is Your Heart At?

Chapter 4

Danger Room

With one more check on Penny who was sleeping so deeply she didn't even budge as Gadget gave her a soft kiss to the crown.

"She's been awake for two days being sick. She'll likely sleep through the night." It was just the afternoon though...well the sun was going down even though it was only 5.

"How long will this take?" He watched the hallway as they were going down. It just looked like concrete with lights along the walls. Just why did she need a danger room?

"No idea, this is new ground for both of us. But don't worry, I don't think it'll kill you...maybe." Oh lovely that made him feel a helluva lot better.

She turned around to address him only to hear another crack of a sneeze which resulted in his head smashing against the ceiling.

"Ow..." Gadget mumbled as his neck slowly lowered back down. His hat was squished down at an odd angle.

"Oh...yeah that...doesn't look good." She reached over and smoothed the hat back out, and felt along his neck pieces. Everything seemed okay, but he did look to be in a bit of pain. "Didn't bite your tongue did you?" Sudden realization clicked in Gadgets head.

"Is my tongue...mine?" He asked. Ren burst out laughing as she thought about what she was going to say.

"It's all you Gadget, the sooner you realize that the better. But to answer your question...yes. So try not to bite it."

Gadget thought about it, this was all him now. Every bit of this tech, hardware, software, and the bits and bobs along his person was now him.

"I really need to read through that handbook..." Gadget mumbled as he ran his hand over his head. He had such a headache coming on. Perhaps it would be best if he took a nap? They reached the bottom step and Ren turned on the lights.

All along the long room Gadget could see the many different completed projects the professor had made. One side was a car with the letter G on the side.

"Oh!" Gadget pointed at it.

"I didn't know the professor made cars." He said as he looked into the front seat at the many different gadgets along the dashboard.

"Oh uh...no that's me. When I get bored and have nothing better to do I...tinker. It's not done. The transformation circuits aren't perfect yet and if I'm going to give a present it's going to be perfect."

"Transformation circuit?" Gadget asked, watching as Ren poked at a button and the Mark III turned into a 1983 Toyota Supra. But it stopped halfway through and made a loud clutching noise.

"Yeah it's not perfect yet." She affirmed. "One day I hope it'll work." She yawned and motioned to the room and opened the door.

"Oh...a game room..." He almost walked into the room before he sneezed and his arms raced off to either side of the room. Luckily they didn't hit anything. They just spaghettied down to either side of his arms.

Ren walked over and picked up his hands and opened the wrist hatch and started to whine his arms back up.

"Come on Gadget, into the danger room."

"Why is it called the danger room?" He finally asked. She opened the door again and let him.

"This is the room we use when we test our more...explosive experiments. It's safer here than outside where someone might come across us and get hurt. Safety first after all."

"Of course." He sat down on the floor. He felt a soft fabric hit him and a pillow.

"Get some rest Gadget, I know it's not the best place, but currently you are glitching. For the time being I guess I'll go watch Penny. The bathroom is right there. I won't close the door." She waved over her shoulder.

Gadget actually wanted to argue with her, but his head hit the pillow and he was almost instantly asleep. Ren could hear him snoring already.

In her head she was thinking of all the peaceful time she would have. No Gadget and even Penny was asleep. Perhaps time to crack open that book she had got.

As soon as she opened the door she saw that she was not going to have that peace and quiet she had wanted.

"Ah shit, I jinxed myself." She looked on at the MAD agents as they sat at the table playing cards. Penny lay in one of their arms.

"Stay quiet, I'd like for her to stay asleep for this trip." the thin one said as he rocked the infant.

"As if you'd ever get what you want. Gadget!" Ren yelled as the much thicker henchmen raced forward as Ren grabbed the dining room chair and used it to keep him back.

Penny opened her eyes, she didn't know this man. Her uncle told her never to go with strangers. She turned to look around, she saw Ren and held her arms out to her.

"Neenee!!!" Okay that was adorable, Ren wasn't going to live that down, the kid had a nickname for her. Well...unless she was trying to say her name. She was only two after all.

"I'm coming sweetheart. Just hang on." Or not...glass rained down onto the ground around Ren as she felt a soft pop on the top of her head. She felt the blood slowly ooze down her face. It felt warm but became slightly cold.

"Too bad Dr. Ren...I was kind of beginning to like you." Claw came from around the kitchen having been looking through the cupboards for things that Penny could use. There wasn't much.

Ren hit the ground like a sack of potatoes. She felt so dizzy. She couldn't control the unconsciousness that threatened the corners of her mind.

"Claw..." She whispered. The dark closed in completely as she saw the henchmen throw a lighter onto the couch bed.