Chapter 15: The Light

Where is your Heart at?

Chapter 15

The Light

Once they found a hotel nearby Gadget rented a room and pulled out a backpack from the trunk of the car. Ren had her own room so they could have privacy.

Gadget laid out some clothing for Penny and filled up the bathtub. He needed to clean her. She was filthy after landing in the water, her wounds, and she was shivering from the wet clothing. His jacket could only do so much.

He placed her into the bathtub and watched her. She seemed so tired, but scared. Normally when she was in the tub she would splash and have fun. She just sat there and stared at the water.

"Penny..." She slowly looked up at him. Tears ran down her face. "Did they hurt you?" Well that was an understatement. She was scratched up, didn't he see that?

Gadget nodded that was a dumb question. "What I mean is...do you want to talk about it?" He asked. She shook her head. She didn't want to talk about it at all, she just wanted..." She slowly stood up and held up her arms.

Gadget wasn't even finished bathing her. His soapy hands wrapped around her middle. Maybe she needed the toilet? Yet when he picked her up securely after washing the soap off. She refused to let him go when he tried to put her onto the floor.

"Penny...you need to wash your hair..." She screamed and started to cry. "Hey hey..." He sat down on the floor and pulled the towel around her. She didn't need to get a worse cold. "Shhhh..." he whispered and leaned back, letting her lay on his chest. Letting her listen to his heart beating and the clock ticking. She loved the sound, and it more often than not lulled her to sleep.

"Unka..." Her sweet little voice whispered after a moment and he looked down into her sky blue eyes. They almost looked apologetic.

"Hum?" He asked, he was so sure it had something to do with the cold. It was kind of cold there because of the AC. It was still summer after all.

"I gotta go peepee." He chuckled and stood up.

"Alright, here we go, then we gotta finish washing your hair." She shook her head, ah this must have been the start of her rebellious streak he had heard so much about. The terrible twos.

(0)

Two Weeks Later

Penny wasn't fully back to normal. She didn't like being left alone without her uncle for too long. Even if Mrs. Quimby was watching her and she would silently cry till he came to pick her up. The first time that Gadget went back to work without her Penny silently cried on the couch till he came back. So Gadget did the responsible thing and decided to take a real vacation.

Penny sat on his lap as he got comfortable on the airplane. He looked around at the stewardess as she came back over with a bowl full of warmed oatmeal for Penny.

A small whimper beside them told them the puppy they had procured from Dr. Ren wasn't liking the plane too much.

"Oh stop it Brain. You'll be just fine." Gadget held up a spoon for Penny. "Tell him Penny, it's just a plane ride huh?" Penny swallowed the food and smiled.

"Das a pain." Her speech was getting better...sort of.

To the dog that was right, it was a pain, a pain in his advanced cybernetic brain. Gadget thought he was a real dog, and Penny figured he was too, but he was far more advanced than most dogs like him. No dog would be quite like him...or as smart. Designed specifically to keep these two out of trouble.

Something told him he had a big job ahead of him.

End!

Part 3: If I never Knew You

Penny will be five years old and going to school the first time.