Chapter 12: Break

Where is your Heart at?

Chapter 12

Break

Two Hours Before

Ren ran the rag over her knuckles, but it would seem the generators were at least functioning properly. Well as properly as could be, before she came in service to the department she was a mechanic. It was how she made ends meet and pay for college. She didn't have parents after all.

She walked back into the building and picked up a cup full of iced coffee as she walked through. She needed to get out of there now. She had to find Gadget. Opening the front door and looking at Quimby who stood across the street in front of the bank. Once again to slow for the henchmen who robbed the place.

"Give me your car." She grabbed the keys from his belt loop before he even said yes or no.

"HEY!" he yelled. Climbing into his patrol car she turned it around and headed toward the woods.

(0)

Present

"John!" the voice echoed in his head. "John! Can you hear me?!" he felt a shove. It sounded like Mary for a second. That damned hallucination ruined his nap.

His head hurt so much, it pounded within his skull...was it even a skull? The ringing in his ears made it even worse. He slowly stood up and rubbed the base of his neck and looked around. Warning signs told him his back panels were compromised. He wasn't too sure what was going on with them. But they hurt like they were a whole wildfire rolled into one on his back.

He felt someone's hands on his back. He cringed and arched trying to get away from those hands. He turned around really fast only to flail and fall onto his side.

"Hold still you idiot!" He slowly sat up and looked around, spotting someone. Her head was wrapped up and her glasses were hanging to one side. Likely from being hit too hard with the bottle that caused her injury in the first place.

"Ren?" He mumbled as he squinted one eye looking around again before he felt her lay him on his side. It was far more comfortable actually.

"You are injured, stay still you...you...jerk. You're going to hurt yourself worse." She pulled something out of her pocket. "I told you not to hurt yourself and here you are blowing yourself up. You need to think better of yourself or..." Yup she was angry, or was that concern?

"If I didn't he would have hurt Penny." He took a deep breath sitting up and leaning over his crossed legs so Ren could look at him better.

He heard a loud rip and his jacket fell off to the side. His shirt was sent next. Did his tie make it? Was he even wearing one? He couldn't remember he was so tired.

"Are you still sick?" She asked him, oh geez he didn't know.

He just shook his head and shrugged in response. He felt her slap the side of his head and a few warnings went away. He smiled, he wasn't sure if that was what she meant to do.

"Hold still..." Gadget gasped and almost gagged at the feeling. It was as if she lifted his chest clean from its roost and then dropped it back into place. He saw a bright light. He let off a silent scream, and he fell forward onto the grass. But oh did that feel so much better. He sighed with relief.

"Now get up John! We have a baby to save!" Without a shirt?

"You know...they've been treating Penny like a baby." Gadget mumbled as he stood up.

"Good lord, have they really? Just goes to show you how well she would have been treated if he wasn't bad." Ren rolled her eyes and opened the car door on Gadget's new car.

"Did you drive here?" Gadget asked Ren who shrugged and nodded. She hated to drive. She kept her husband's car out of respect. He didn't have the heart to tell her it was totaled.

"Where to? We lost the trail." Gadget heard from the back seat. He looked in the rear view mirror. He could see Mary's eyes. He thought about it and he closed his eyes, rubbing them. When he looked back again she was gone.

"There's only one more thing on this road. The City dam just before the quarry." Gadget mumbled