𝟬𝟳

Waking up that morning Dream that the day was supposed to be special, but for some reason could not remember what it was

Waking up that morning Dream that the day was supposed to be special, but for some reason could not remember what it was. Her appointment had been yesterday and the doctor had said everything looked normal, well as normal as it can be with a tumor. Which was relieving. It usually doesn't take her long to get ready but today was different.

Brushing her hair she wasn't paying attention until she felt something. It was different, and she didn't like it. Looking at her brush, she couldn't believe it. It made everything truly feel real. Staring back at her was a clump of hair. Her hair. Growing up she loved her hair, she wanted to be like Moana with the curls and the length. She fell in love with them as soon as she saw them. And now seeing she's losing it, she swore this was the worst heartbreak she has ever felt. Because she was dying, and nothing was going to change that. Nobody was going to change that. And it scared her even more.

After throwing away the hair and making sure it wasn't visible, she had finished getting ready and decided to head downstairs. Reaching the last step and seeing everyone already there seemed to remind her of today. Belly's birthday. It was Belly's 16th birthday and she forgot. But since it was Belly's birthday it was also her birthday. Which meant she was also 16 now today. She couldn't believe it. She didn't even get the chance to get Belly a gift. She was horrible. She felt horrible. Her last birthday with her sister and she didn't even get her a gift. What kind of sister does that?

"Happy Birthday!" The sound of everyone cheering and celebrating broke her thoughts, she smiled at them, trying to hide the pain and guilt she felt. How could she do this?

"Thank you guys, really," She says, smiling at everyone.

"Your pancakes are almost ready sweetie, how many do you want?" Laurel asks, looking her way, "Three, four?" She continues asking.

"Um only 1 actually, I'm not that hungry," She responds while playing with her hands. Maybe she could let Belly have the rest as an apology for forgetting.

"Oh, okay then," Laurel responds, nodding her head before turning to continue cooking.

Looking around the room, while walking to the island she noticed Belly wasn't downstair yet. She begins thinking of some excuse for not having a gift, maybe she had ordered it but it wasn't shipped yet, or she had to pick it up later this afternoon, or she's just a horrible sister who can't get her sister a simple gift for her 16th birthday because she only thinks about herself.

Breaking from her thoughts at the sound of a plate sliding across the counter she looks and sees one Mickey Mouse pancake in front of her. She looks up, smiles at her mom, and whispers a small thank you before grabbing the syrup and pouring it on her pancake.

"So any plans for this birthday girl today," She hears from beside her. She looks over and makes eye contact with Jeremiah. She shakes her head, before going to eat. "Well, great cause I was wondering if you want to come with me to Nicole's party tonight? After dinner of course," He continues, giving her a look, hoping she'll accept the invite.

She finishes her bite before answering, "Sure I mean if nothing unexpectedly happens then I would love to go to the party, but I'm not gonna drink," She says, looking back at him.

At her answer his face seems to light up, he had honestly thought she would decline the offer but is now over the moon that she accepted it. "Great, thank god, I need you with me," He says, smiling at her. She laughs at his statement, not believing it but doesn't say anything.

After finishing her pancake and playing around with Jeremiah, Steven, and Conrad, Belly finally came downstairs. "Happy Birthday," everyone cheered like they did when Dream came downstairs. "Your Mickey Mouse pancakes are ready," Laurel said after greeting and hugging her daughter smiling.

"I'm not really uh hungry," She responds, smiling slightly seemingly scared not wanting to hurt her mom's feelings and bring down the mood.

After a little awkward silence Susannah seemed to be the one to break it, "Shall we open gifts," she questioned looking around the room.

Everyone agreed, nodding their heads before Jeremiah jumped up, "Oh, you both are gonna love mine," He said smiling holding up the 2 gifts he got for the girls. Everyone smiled at him, loving his enthusiasm for the girl's birthday.

In the living room the girls open their gift from their mom first, taking off the wrapping paper you can see Belly had gotten a book which contained poems and Dream had gotten a book with different quotes from authors. Smiling Dream looked at her mom, "Thank you, Mom, I love it," She said, making sure she knew she appreciated her gift. Her mom smiles at her, happy she likes it before looking at Belly.

"It's a first edition," She says, breaking the silence. "I got it from a rare book dealer," She continues to explain, hoping she too likes her gift.

"Thanks, Mom," She responds, Belly never was really into books and poems but she made sure she still appreciated the gift from her mom.

Laurel lets out a breath before speaking, "Turn to the bookmarked page," She lets out smiling slightly, knowing she would like the meaning behind it. Before looking at Susannah saying something.

Opening the page Belly quickly skims it before recognizing it almost immediately at the first line. "Oh yeah, I remember Susannah teaching us to recite this," She answers still looking down at the page. "For whatever we lose..." She starts.

"Like a you or a me," Dream, Belly, and Jeremiah say before everyone joins in. "It's always ourselves we find in the sea," Everyone finishes, smiling remembering it immediately. Belly then thanks her mom, claiming she loves it now knowing the meaning behind it.

"Okay, open mine now," Susannah says, handing the girls their gifts.

Opening them, shock overcomes their faces when in their eyes they saw the most beautiful and expensive pieces of jewelry they probably ever had, Belly had gotten a pearl necklace and Dream had got a set of pearl earrings with a bracelet. "Wow, Susannah these are beautiful," They both had said, still surprised by the gift, loving them at the same time. They had then helped each other put them on before Susannah responded.

"My mom gave me those pearls for my sweet 16," She says smiling at the two girls, her girls. "Radiant, aren't they both?" She asks but also states to everyone. While the girls looked up and smiled at her, grateful for the gift.

"They look great on you both girls," Laurel confirms, smiling at her daughters. Thankful for this moment.

"Oh, I'm next," Jeremiah rushes out handing the girls their gifts from them. While the two smile back at him.

Opening them, Belly had gotten a new charm bracelet for good luck for her driver's test and Dream had gotten a simple yet beautiful silver necklace with a pearl in the middle, loving it immediately when seeing it she thanked Jeremiah, telling him it was beautiful and she loves it and immediately putting it on. After Jeremiah, it was Steven's turn which he then tossed at his sisters, getting Belly a Princeton hoodie, while getting Dream a Princeton mug and bracelet. Loving them both, Dream thanks him. Before it, he and Laurel talked about how Princeton was still a possibility he was thinking of. Breaking the then silence Susannah had gotten Conrad's attention making him aware it was his turn. He looks at them guiltily before speaking, "Sorry, I forgot," He says, avoiding eye contact with everyone. The two looked at him before excusing him and letting him know it was okay. The two had then agreed to swap presents later, wanting the attention off them now.

Nodding Dream smiles before standing up, "I'm gonna go on a walk on the beach, I'll be back" she tells everyone. Everyone smiles and tells her okay and tells her happy birthday again before going to do their own thing.