Chapter 11: Fallout

WE HAVE DISCORDS! JOIN THEM, NOW! 

________________________________________________________________________________

Rimuru's POV

Assessing the state of things that day was like trying to thread a bulldeer through a needle. Especially because emotional support was not Ciel's strong suit, even if she was great at getting material things and working with skills, destroying or recreating worlds, or making systems to make things easier.

With emotions, however, the best she could suggest was for me to attend to it.

That wasn't to fault her though, it was perhaps the only thing I was better at. I had to suppose that was for the best too, since I was the one usually front-facing.

Today I needed to deal with Benimaru and his wives, specifically helping them actually deal with their two new children, on top of keeping an eye on Aoki for the time being.

I was considering calling Kokobu early...

That was to come later though, for the time being we were finally able to enter the delivery room, and inside was a defensively standing Shuna, who was holding a bundle of red blankets that appeared to have been yanked from Momiji.

Only god could guess what had actually happened, unfortunately, I wasn't watching.

I looked over to Albis, expecting a second bundle, but didn't see one. On further inspection though, I spotted something else. Large, smooth, and off-white, with Albis curled snugly around it. It could be nothing else; it was an egg, one big enough to hold a toddler-sized human, if I were to take a guess.

Seeing my expression, my most senior general turned to me with a pale look. "I was surprised–"

"You really shouldn't have been surprised." I cut him off bluntly, not wanting him to make either Albis or Shuna angry in this situation. He could be a bit of an airhead sometimes.

Benimaru just scratched his hair awkwardly and put on a smile to hide his embarrassment. "I suppose not."

Aoki spoke out of turn for him, unfortunately. "That one is incomplete."

I could feel my cheeks flush red, so I immediately turned to Albis with an apologetic tone. "Your baby is– adorable."

"Thank you, Lord Rimuru," The woman smiled. I didn't think she held Aoki's bluntness against her, thankfully.

"Yours too, Momiji." I made sure to address the other mother in the room, "May I hold him?" The question was for both Momiji and Shuna, since Shuna was still holding the infant. Momiji looked and sounded exhausted, which was understandable.

Still, Momiji put on her best attempt at a prideful smile and I think I heard her whisper "Lord Rimuru chose to hold my baby first!" But decided to ignore that. I also ignored the stony glare from Albis that shot in Momiji's direction.

As I approached, it appeared I'd caught the infant's attention. With him rubbing his nose and 'looking' toward me. I suspected he was using Magic Sense, be it unintentionally.

He couldn't open his eyes yet, which was typical even of humans, but that would likely be different very soon if other monsters were any indication. Any weakness was a bit of a problem, so they tended to develop real fast.

How fast in their case though, I wasn't sure.

"It is staring... It's being rude."

"Not rude, just curious. He is a baby, Aoki, that's just how babies are... I think."