Chapter 12

RAELYNN

"If you value your life, do not utter a word.", he said, his voice deep, cold and sharp, his gaze piercing mine in warning.

His words and his gaze fueled my anger further, enraging me whole.

Clutching the dagger that I had picked from the dead guard in my right hand tightly, I swung it fiercely at him, aiming straight to his throat.

But before the dagger could even touch him, he removed his hand from over my mouth and held my wrist tightly, halting the tip of the dagger a few inches away from his neck, his eyes never once leaving mine, his face eerily stoic without even a slight twitch at my sudden attack.

"Swinging a knife isn't enough, Ms. Baker, one should have the guts to plunge into the opponent's flesh.", he said calmly.

His tall form was towering over me, his head bent down a little, a few strands of his drenched hair falling over his forehead, slightly covering his eyes, his right hand still placed on the tree beside my head and his left hand holding my wrist mid air, the water droplets from his drenched hair cascading down his face onto mine.

"It's a pity you stopped the attack, you jerk, else your soul would've realized my raw intent to feel your blood once it leaves your collapsing body.", I replied as eerily calm and firm as him, staring sharply into his gray eyes.

"I'm warning you for the last time. I -", he was saying, but I cut him off.

"Or what, huh? What are you going to do? Kill me? Go ahead.", I gritted out.

People on the other side may be dying at this moment and this guy is talking about respect?

Well, screw him!

This situation has come because of him.

If he's interested in a shady life, he can do whatever pleases him, but causing risk to others is unforgivable. He doesn't have that right.

What if Mr. Brown had gone into a cardiac arrest due to the sudden shock and all that exhaustion from running?

What if he had collapsed in the middle? We would've had no way to get him to a hospital.

What would I have told his wife if something had happened to him?

Would she have been able to take that news at her age?

What about all the other employees?

What would their partners and kids have to go through if something unfortunate happens to them?

The overwhelming worry was starting to get to my nerves as anxiety began taking root at the uncertainty of whether everyone is fine or not, spiking my anger further.

Much to my surprise, he let go of my wrist, and to my utter shock, he snatched the gun from my other hand with ease, stepping back, giving room to some space between us.

Moving a few steps further back, he lifted the gun up, pointing it at me.

I froze, my hands falling free on either side of me, my gaze shifting up from the gun in his hand to his eyes.

That's when it hit me back that he must be involved in the mafia to some extent considering the way he uses the gun naturally.

Mafia

The mere word triggered an all too familiar twist in my chest, my brain reminding me of some unnecessary memories.

....

"We were unlucky to have fallen into the hands of the mafia, Amber. Anywhere would have been better than here. These mafia f**kers are all filthy scoundr*ls!"