Chapter 15

160+ Votes!

RAELYNN

"She's my fiancé.", he said seriously.

My eyes widened, my lips parting in shock, stunned at his words.

The old woman seemed to have gone quiet for a while and so have I.

Fiancé?

Me?

It took me a moment to register his words.

When the words finally sunk in, my brows furrowed in irritation, my lips pursing tight at the ridiculous lie.

What the hell does he think of himself?

Him and my fiancé?

The audacity!

However, I couldn't say anything at the moment as arguing about it here would only make the old woman suspicious and she'd just ignore us without helping and I cannot afford to walk unnecessary kilometers right now.

Fate is so generous to me!

A few moments in silence passed by and she finally spoke up.

"The nearest motel is at least more than 3 kilometers away. You need to go straight along this road until you cross the fields and then take a right, then walk straight again. As you continue walking, you'll see a big board outside the motel, welcoming the customers.", the old lady directed in a groggy voice.

3 kilometers!!!

Again?

I'd rather sleep on the road than walk any longer.

My legs have been aching for a while now and are almost on the verge of going numb.

"Thank you, mam.", Mr. Marino thanked her politely.

It's funny how his voice is so deep that it almost doesn't sound polite even when it is.

"Let's go.", he said, turning to me, nodding curtly.

Taking a huge breath, unnoticeable in the dark, I nodded back.

I'm going to have terrible cramps once I sit and rest.

As we turned around to leave, the old woman's voice halted us.

"Do you have a vehicle to drive there?", she asked.

"We'll go by foot, mam.", I replied, turning to the small door-side camera.

"You can't. There'll be drunkards roaming around the town at this hour. Wait a moment.", she said tersely.

I looked at Mr. Marino and even in this dim moonlight, I could see he was having his usual robotic expression.

The sound of a window opening, situated a few feet to the right of the door, caught our attention

"These are the keys for the apartment upstairs. I often give it on lease to visitors who come for sightseeing. You can use it for a day.", she said, placing the keys on the windowsill and immediately closing the window again.

"Are you sure about this, mam? We have no problem walking to the motel.", I asked hesitantly, not intending to cause trouble or worry to the lady.

"You can take it.", she replied through the lock speaker again.

Before I could ask one last time, Mr. Marino walked past me and picked the keys.

I glared at his back, annoyed.

"Thank you, mam.", he thanked her yet again and looked at me, ready to leave.

I thanked her too and was going to go, but paused when she asked a question.