Chapter 27

200+ Votes!

----NOTE----

Dear readers, I'm extremely sorry for the delayed update and thank you for the patience!

----NOTE ENDS----

RAELYNN

As the slow moving wind toyed with my hair, disturbing me while eating, I was startled when rough calloused fingers gently brushed against my cheek, moving the hair strands off of my face and tucking them behind my ear.

Feeling strange in my chest, I turned to him.

Looking at his eyes that were gazing at me with an unrecognizable emotion, I froze, staring deep into his gray eyes that were being illuminated by the dim rays from the slowly rising sun, trying to gauge the emotion in them.

At that moment, he spoke up, his deep voice so flawlessly calm and gentle that it felt more tranquil than silence itself.

"That's the color of your eyes.", he stated gently, referring to the color of the sky while the sun's coming up.

I broke out of the daze and turned to look at the orangish dark sky slowly brightening up with each passing second.

My lips parted in awe at the breathtaking beauty of the vast sky and it's brightening hues as my chest felt light yet my heart became heavy with a whirlwind of emotions.

"You look surprised.", Vincent commented calmly.

I am.

For ten years now, I have never been able to stare into my own eyes for more than a few seconds due to the ugly memories they bring forth. These amber eyes, the ones I had once been very proud of, have become a doorway to the suppressed nightmares lying in a deep corner of my mind.

'Amber'

I used to be called by that name in the broth*l.

And indeed, life had been an endlessly depressing autumn in that dirty cellar and ever since my eyes have become terrifying to look into.

Tears stung my eyes at the overwhelming storm within me and I wanted to freeze time at that moment, stop the sun halfway in its rising and stare endlessly into that varying shades of amber hued sky.

Until now, my eyes were a depressing autumn, but he has showed me that they can be a magnificent dawn too.

Controlling the tears from falling, I gulped the lump in my throat, while basking in the peaceful silence for the next few moments.

"We need to leave.", Vincent said, standing up after a while, breaking the silence.

Staring at the beautiful scenery one last time, I stood up.

As I turned around to walk to the car, I found him already a few steps ahead of me.

I involuntarily took a few fast steps and held his hand, halting him in his tracks.

He turned to me, his eyes immediately concealing the surprise under his usual stoicness and raised a brow, questioning my actions.

Feeling overwhelmingly emotional, I clutched his hand tightly, slowly moving closer.

Not intending to show my tears, I lowered my eyes and leaned my head on his shoulder blades softly, clutching his t-shirt in a tight fist, my cheeks and nose growing warm due to the flooding emotions, a strange sense of relief spreading in me as his scent invaded my nostrils.