Familiar Faces

Although I hadn't fully forgiven him yet, I couldn't deny the hold he had on me. I knew deep down he wasn't worth a damn, but I made up my mind to play his game and be just as ain't shit as he was. In my free time, you could catch me hanging around the hood, chilling with a couple of girls I had met through Ahlirah's daycare. We had our little crew going on, keeping each other company and sharing the experiences of our crazy lives. Marissa ,Koryn,and Naturi. 

One sunny afternoon, as I strolled down the block on my way to the convenience store, a familiar face caught my eye. There he was, dressed in an all-black dickie suit with a blue bandanna sitting low on his head. His smooth chocolate brown skin glistened under the sun, and damn, he smelled good too. My heart fluttered for a split second, reminding me of the chemistry we had for a split second when we lived in Alabama. But I quickly snapped back to reality, reminding myself that there was more to this story than just surface-level attraction.Our eyes locked and I realize it was the nigga Brick from back home. What was he doing in North Carolina ?

"Girl you stalking me or something ? " he laughed
"Boy please." I smiled rolling my eyes. I paid for my food and walked out of the store.
"Hollup Ma." He called following after me. I turned around to face him.
"Wassup ?"
"Shit. I got family in Greensboro that's why I'm out here... fuck you doing out here? I haven't seen you around in months". He said licking his lips
"Me and my man moved out here... he goes to Duke University:"
"Oh yeah. I heard your man tryna go pro. Good shit."
"He is gonna go pro they are hitting him up now for deals:"
"So I guess you won't have time for me then." He smiled
"Excuse me ?"
"Come on shawty we both know you ain't happy. I got you tons that told me bout him foolin around up at that school on you."
"Damn guess everybody in my business" 

"Come on shawty we both know you ain't happy. I got you tons that told me bout him foolin around up at that school on you."

The news hit me hard. I felt like i was punched in the rib. Sure Drique cheated on me with Selena but i was working on forgiving him. When Brick said that it re opened wounds and i felt the pain again. 

''Imma see you around...''

''I ain't mean no harm shawty but here my number...when you get tired of bull hit my line.''Brick handed me a piece of paper with his name and number on it. I watched as he walked back to his car and his music blared as he drove down the street. Brick was the get money type of nigga. I never heard bad things about him from my home girls but then again i ain't never really ask too much about him. If Drique fucked up i already had my next player in mind ...I headed home and got right in bed i had a couple hours to nap until it was time to pick Ahlirah up.  When i woke up i looked out the window and it was dark. 

I looked at the clock it was 6pm. Damn I forgot to pick Ahlirah up.  DAMN ...i really was asleep for 6 hours. 

"Damn it!'' I yelled.   Before I could call the daycare I heard the tv in the living room and him laughing. I walked out to the living room and on Driques chest laid Ahlirah. It was definitely one of those sweet moments that you are supposed to catch on camera. A loving father and his first baby girl.

"You picked her up."
"Yeah they called me when you was an hour late. Is everything okay Giselle?" He asked
"Yeah I just been tired that's all ."
"I wrapped my arms around him and kissed him on the cheek .
"I wanna take Ahlirah to my mom's on Friday...we won't be back until Sunday."
"Baby she's too young to be gone that long away from me."
"You need some rest and my mom wants to see her anyway. She will be fine ."

I couldn't help but crack a smile as I leaned in and planted a kiss on his cheek. Yeah, Drique may have pulled some shady moves on me in the past, but I gotta give credit where it's due - the man knew how to be a damn good father.