28. Make Amends

B R Y A N

Blood pumping through my veins as I hit my opponent with everything I got. Remembering everything Mike, I mean Grayson taught me, I watch for weak spots. This man is a tank, but I cannot let him knock me down, or I might end up dead.

"Daddy!"

My head whips around so fast as I see that bastard, Romano holding my babygirl. Red. It is all I see, but I took my eye off my opponent and that's where I fucked up. His fist slams into my face fast and hard. Then he jabs me in the stomach, where I am pretty sure my ribs crack. All I hear is the cries of my daughter as I am beaten down.

"Bryan!"

Turning my head, I see him rushing towards me. I try to shake my head because the consequences are too great if they find out. Luck is not on our side before I can scream, a shot is fired, and the love of my life is laying lifeless on the floor with his eyes staring into mine.

"Noooooo!"

I jolt up, sweat dripping down my face. Arms surround me and I can breathe again. Turning I look deep into his eyes and cling onto him for dear life. That is the second time I thought I watched him die. My whole body shakes from the sheer terror of that thought. I cannot lose him again. His hand rubs up and down my back in a soothing motion, as his forehead is pressed to mine.

"It was a bad dream, Bry."

I feel his lips kiss the tip of my nose then he pulls back to look at me. My hand clamps the back of his neck to bring his lips to mine. Needing to breathe him, to soak up his presence, to know I'm not imagining any of this.

"Daddy, daddy!"

The door flies open, and Benny is right behind her. He gives us a sheepish smile. Things between us have been a little strained but he is still my brother no matter what. I know I have hurt him and a lot of others by my actions, especially the little bundle of joy that jumps on the bed.

"Sorry, she heard you and was worried. I didn't know that he spent the night."

After our training with Romano, I needed him with me more than ever. The person that Mike was when he was there, irked me. In all fairness he warned me, but I just did not imagine him being so detached to who he is when I'm around. Grayson is a machine there and nobody fucks with him, but here he is Mike, the man that I have loved all these damn years.

"It's okay."

"Breakfast is ready, if you want anything."

I nod my head as I bring my daughter closer to me and kiss her head. She looks between us as Benny leaves the room. Shit! I did not think about this.

"Are you daddy's boyfriend?"

I look at Mike and he gives me that cheesy smile he gave me so many years ago, it warms my heart so damn much.

"We, haven't..."

"Yes!"

He grabs my hand and I hold onto it tightly. Zoe's attention turns back to me, and her delicate fingers trace the bruises on my face.

"Does it hurt?"

She pouts and I shake my head because I really did not want her to see me like this, but I have no choice. I have to be away from her for a while and I need this time with her more than anything.

"No baby, it doesn't."

Total lie, but not telling her that.

"Does he make you happy?" Her head tilts to the side and looks over at him. Mike gives her a smile and she smiles back.