4. Stunt

He groaned in exasperation when the door burst open. He was pulled back and the intruder looked down at the broken glass and spilt water.

"What happened here?"

"Nothing actually, Kunal. I just happen to break a glass." Arjun replied.

Kunal blinked at him.
"And what were doing up so late? You sleep like a log."

"I was actually sleeping. Bansi woke me up. You should go and sleep. I will clean this up." Arjun said walking out of the room towards get the wipe cloth and broom.

"Bansi? She called at this hour? Why? Is all okay back at your home?" Kunal asked as he followed Arjun out of the room.

"Yeah. All good. She just wanted to talk to me." Arjun picked up the broom and wipe cloth and walked back to the room followed by Kunal.

"What was so important that she could not wait until morning. From where was she calling? Did she leave house at this hour? What if someone saw her leaving the house?"

"Relax, Kunal. She was at home."
Arjun tried to calm his troubled friend.

"She was just happy. This... Veena... She is getting married." He added.

Kunal furrowed his eyebrows.
"Who is Veena?"

"How would I know who this Veena is? I don't even know this Shukla family." Arjun replied. 

"Let me do it." Kunal tried to grab the wipe cloth from Arjun's hand.

"No, I got it. It's almost done." Arjun replied, wiping the floor.

"I hear a lot about this Shukla girl from Bansi. Looks like she is very close to Samrat. I don't know anything else."

Kunal poured him another glass of water when Arjun discarded the broken glass and had washed his hands.
He found Arjun lost in deep thoughts.

"What are you thinking?"

Arjun sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose.
"I don't know, Kunal. I just worry for Bansi. She sometimes sounds like a rebellion. I have a hunch that she is not taking her life seriously."

Kunal sat down beside him and pushed the glass of water in his hands.
"What happened? You can tell me."

Arjun took a moment and sipped on the water.
"You know, she has got a new number, just to call me. I might be over thinking, but I am really worried for her. You know how my father is. He will not take it good if he found out that she contacts me."

Kunal blinked and looked away for a moment.
"Do you think you should change your number?"

Arjun shook his head in denial.
"I just talk to her for two or three minutes, and I realized that she is going against the rules. That is just a glimpse. I don't know to what lengths she might go. I just keep her happy by talking to her to stop her from going to wrong turns. I hope Samrat realizes that she needs to be kept under watch."

"This is complicated." Kunal whispered.

Arjun hummed softly.

Next night, at around 2 am Arjun's phone gave out a ring.

Soft happy giggles filled his ears.

"Where are you now?" She asked out of nowhere.

"In my room." He replied.

"Which city?" She persisted.

He chuckled.
"Why do you want to know?"

"Come on, Bhai. It's not that I will come to meet you. Tell me where do you stay."