33. Accusations

Thousands of thoughts were running through Arjun's mind.

He was reliving the hell that he had lived a dacade ago. He did not know if he would come out clean this time. It was possible that the reports of postmortem could be tampered. With no one on his side, he felt lost and lonely again.

The night transpired darker.

Arjun stepped down behind the constable and was led towards the police station. A familiar dread filled him and his heart sank. It was the dirty nostalgia that was taking him back to his teenage years. He was holding himself from crying out. He did not know what was making him so weak and vulnerable. It must be the prior experience when he was brutally thrashed. He was young and helpless. But he was much mature now. He held his breath and bit on the inner of his cheeks to gain control over his emotions.

"Don't put him in the cell. Let him sit on a bench." The officer suddenly announced and Arjun looked at him flabbergasted.

The officer held his gaze for a mere moment and walked away.

The constable gestured him to take the bench that was placed in the innermost cabin and with enough officers around.

Arjun did not know why the officer let him sit there and not put him in a cell. But he could find relief wash over him. He thanked his stars.

Aniket and Samrat tried to pull in all their contacts to help Arjun get a bail. But even they knew that they would have to wait until the morning and until the court starts it's business.

Aniket furrowed his eyebrows as he looked at the ringing phone. It was Mr. Shukla trying to connect with him. He let out an annoyed breath and received the call.

"Is it true that Arjun killed Sahil?" Mr. Shukla, Veena's father, asked.

Aniket clenched his jaw.
"Where did you get the news from?"

"So, it is true." Mr. Shukla gritted his teeth.

"Nothing is proved yet. We are still waiting for the post mortem reports." Aniket stood up and placed around the room.

Mr. Shukla snickered.
"What kind of a man he is? First he kidnapped my daughter, married her forcefully and now killed her fiance."

Aniket clenched his fist.
"Your daughter is no more tied to my son. I think you too, should leave him alone."

Aniket disconnected the phone without anymore words. But the truth struck him hard. This fact was going to haunt his family forever.

The officer received a call in the early hours of morning about the cause of death. Sahil had an overdose of drugs and that mixed with alcohol, killed him. The reports were about to be sent to the police station.

By the late morning, Samrat and Aniket managed to get a bail for Arjun. But by the time they reached the police station, the post mortem reports had already arrived. Sahil's father was blaming Arjun  for his son's death and arguing with the officer to put Arjun behind the bars.
The annoyed officer showed him the postmortem reports, but the old man was too troubled with his son's death that he refused to accept the reports.

When he saw Aniket and Samrat, he lost his sanity. He blamed Aniket for the rogue man he raised.

Aniket looked at Arjun, who was sitting quietly on the bench and clenched his jaw.
He ignored the screaming old man and completed the formalities, paid the bailing amount and gestured Arjun to follow him.

Sahil's father was held back by the constables when he tried to hit Arjun.

Arjun's father grabbed his arm harshly and dragged him unceremoniously to the vehicle waiting out of the police station. Arjun was taken aback by his father's gesture.