6. The Scam Of Marriage

"Looks like she really heard your name." Kunal commented as Arjun effortlessly placed his glass on the coffee table while he held Veena's limp body secured with one arm around her.

"And... Maybe, much more than just the name." Kunal could not stop the chuckles.

Arjun gave him a stink eye.
"Shut up  Kunal."

Without further arguments, Arjun picked up the now limp body and walked towards the bedroom. He gently placed her on the bed and covered her with the duvet. He looked back at his friend standing at the door frame.

"What now?" Kunal asked, pushing his hands in his pockets.

Arjun sighed as he sat on the foot of the bed. He turned back to look at her and then looked at his friend.
"Now what? We keep her here for two days and then let her go."

"And you think you will be able to stop her from marrying that scumbag, once you let her go?" Kunal asked.

Arjun went silent for a moment.
"Is she fine? Do you think we should call for a doctor?"

Kunal checked her and confirmed that she was fine. Next moment, Kunal dragged Arjun out of the room to have a detailed discussion.

"You did not answer me, Arjun." He pestered.

Arjun closed his eyes briefly and rubbed his forehead.
"I don't know, Kunal. You know, it was not impulsive. We had no other choice. I don't know what happens next."

"Tell her why you don't want her to marry." Kunal suggested.

"And she will believe me. She collapsed just hearing my name. Why would she believe a murderer?"

"You are not left with any choice, Arjun. Until she is available, he will keep on chasing her." Kunal put down his point.

Arjun was at loss of words.

"Listen, keeping her here for two days will do no good. We can't decide for her. And what are you going to tell her? It's not like you can marry her and save her from life long pain." Kunal said, trying to get a reaction from Arjun.

Arjun was flabbergasted as he snapped his eyes towards Kunal.

"Actually, you know what? I will marry her."

"What? Arjun? Are you crazy?" Kunal was taken aback.

"Like not literally, just until the chaos subsides. Once he is thrown out of her life, I will let her go too. This way, he will stay away from her, and she will be safe. I will get some time to talk to her and explain her the situation." Arjun explained.

"This is a bad idea, Arjun. Looks like you forgot the consequences." Kunal warned him.

Arjun raked his fingers in his hair in exasperation.
"Its already too late to think about the outcome. We need to handle the situation at hand. Tell me if you have a better option."

Kunal groaned.

Arjun looked at his friend thoughtfully.
"You can walk away any moment, Kunal. I need to do this for the family I left behind. I cannot let that man near the innocent girl. She means a lot to Samrat."

Kunal looked at him with blazing eyes.
"This same Samrat hates you, Arjun."

"But I don't." Arjun retorted.

Kunal sighed in defeat.
"Is this final?"

Arjun held his gaze for a moment.
"Do you think there is a better option?"

"Fine, as you say. What do you want me to do now?" Kunal commented in defeat.

"I guess, arrange for a priest."