7. Threat

"Get out! Get lost from my house." Aniket Mathur growled, his body seething with anger.

Arjun raised his eyes and looked at Veena who had by now dropped to the floor and was crying her heart out. Her parents were too stunned and could do nothing but cry for their only daughter.
For a moment, Arjun clenched his fist, he so wanted to turn away and never to come back. But he knew he could not fall weak now that the damage was already beyond repair.

He lightly shook his head and looked at his father squarely.
"I am sorry, Dad. I refuse to give up my right to stay in this house. I will stay here as long as my wife stays here."

Everyone was shocked at his words. No one could believe that the man standing in front of them was once their loved child.
Veena abruptly stood up and Samrat held her shaking form.

"I am not staying here. I am not staying with you, ever. This is not even a marriage." She spoke within her helpless cries.

That caught the attention of everyone.
Samrat was the one to address the issue.

"That's right. This is not a marriage. Not when it's not with her consent. We can get the annulment."

Arjun looked at him with blazing eyes.  Next moment, he burst out laughing. While everyone was taken aback by his sudden change of mood, Arjun's laughter turned from humorous to maniac. He looked like a crazy mad man and a shiver ran down Veena's spine. She unconsciously pushed herself in Samrat's embrace.

"What is wrong with you?" His father asked and Arjun's laughter died down, but a weird glint could be still seen.

"Is my room still usable?" He asked raising an eyebrow. "I am very tired."

Aniket clenched his jaw.
"I told you to show yourself out."

But before Arjun could retort, his mother intervened and pulled her husband back.

"What are you doing, Aniket? I think we all are high on emotions. Let's sleep it off. We will talk in the morning."

Arjun's eyes softened and misted at the same time. She was as beautiful as he remembered her. He was sure he got his looks from her.

"No, he will not stay under the same roof as me. Either he leaves or I do." Growled his father.

His mother closed her eyes briefly and looked at the young man that she was looking at after ten long years. Any other day, she would have embraced him. But the current situation did not allow that.

"Let him stay in the outhouse." She suggested and Arjun felt a cord twisting in his heart.
Something shattered within when his father marched towards his room without a word.

His mother looked at the retreating figure of her husband and back at him with hurt filled eyes. Arjun had no words to explain himself. He looked down.

He silently walked towards the outhouse that was locked. Faint footsteps were heard and he looked back to find a maid who rushed and opened the door for him. He did not remember the outhouse  it was probably built after he left. The maid walked in and pushed a few buttons and the cold building was bathed in light. She quietly placed the keys on the table and walked out. Arjun sighed and looked around. It was a small two room quarter, one of which was a kitchen and other acted as a living room with a single bed.
He walked to the kitchen area and filled a glass of water and gulped it down. To say that he had not eaten for hours together and was now famished would be an understatement. He opened the refrigerator and rummaged through the contents. It appeared like the outhouse was not in use and fresh food was not available. There was a small pantry with all the dry ingredients.
Drinking another glass of water, he put off the lights and stood by the window, looking at the main house.
He looked at the entire building and analyzed it. With something in mind, he quietly slithered in the dark night.

It was still and silent in the main house. He tiptoed inside and rushed up the stairs with silent footsteps.
He reached a particular room and looked around. He pulled out a small hook-like metal pin hidden in the clasp of his watch and inserted it in the locker. The lock twisted open with a small click. He immediately pushed opened the door and walked inside, shutting the door behind him.

Veena looked at him with wide eyes. She was about to scream, but he was quick to clamp his palm on her mouth.

"One small voice comes out from your little throat and I will twist it without mercy." He whispered menacingly.

Veena froze on her spot.

"Just listen to what I say. And if you at all have anything to say, keep your voice low."

He removed his palm.
"Dad will call the lawyers tomorrow. They will try to get the marriage annulled. Tell them that you don't want to do so."

Veena looked at him with anger filled eyes.
"I will do no such thing. I don't consider this as marriage. I will go to any lengths to get it annulled."

Arjun's eyes glowed dangerously.
"I dare you, Veena. One wrong move and you will regret it for life. Refuse the annulment."

"What if I don't?" She challenged.

"I already have a murder on my name. I don't mind adding on to the list. I will kill you and me both, before the marriage is annulled. I dare you to sign the documents."

Veena took a step back in fear.

"Why are you doing this? What was my mistake? I don't want to stay with you." She cried.

Arjun found his heart soften.
"I am not forcing you to stay with me. And, this is not a forever. I will let you go, when the time is right. Not now."

He was gone before she could comprehend his words.

He picked up two apples from the fruit basket on the way to the outhouse.

----------------------------------

Another chapter up. And that's all for today.

30 comments for next chapter to unlock.

Vote and comment
Love