8. Refusal

Arjun's words rang in her mind the entire night.
She did not know what to make out of the entire situation. Her mind reeled and the flashes of the forced rituals danced in front of her eyes, making her numb from within. Her brain had slowly refused to cooperate and there were no tears left.
She sat down on the cold floor with numb mind and frozen body.
The only hope to get out of the situation by the annulment of the marriage was crushed under Arjun's leather boots.

Arjun on the other hand, came back to the outhouse and sat down on the floor and leaned his back on the single bed. He took a large bite into the apple and closed his eyes as the tangy-sweet juice filled his mouth. He realized how famished he really was and that the apples were not even close to satisfy his hunger.
Too tired to look for anything more to eat, he dropped his body to the cold floor and spread his hands wide. His dark orbs were focused on the ceiling and his thoughts were no more in his control. He was filled with worry of the news that the next morning would bring for him. Though he had threatened her enough to back out from the annulment, nothing was clear for his foggy mind.

His tired body finally gave in the usual restless slumber.

He opened his eyes when loud knocks were heard. He slightly groaned and opened his eyes to analyze. He sighed when his mind was on alert and his body protested for being on the uncomfortable and naked cold floor.
He pushed the door opened and furrowed his eyebrows. A maid was standing there, trying to make him open the door.

"What now?" He asked with irritation laced voice.

"You have been called in the main house." She replied bitterly.

He clenched his jaw. He immediately understood the purpose. He just hummed in response and closed the door.

Walking back in the house, he looked at the shoes that he was still wearing and did not care take off. He splashed cold water on his face and was wondering if could take a shower. He realized with a groan that he did not have anything with him, be it a pair of clothes or his toiletries.
He raked his fingers in his hair and walked out. Without caring to lock the door of the outhouse, he pocketed his phone and took long strides towards the main house.

As expected, everyone including Veena's and his family were present there. He looked around to find the only face, that could probably put a balm to his hurting heart, but Bansi was nowhere to be seen.
He knew, he was not appreciated in the room, but was called since the formalities needed to be completed. There was a lot of empty space, but he chose to stand by the closest wall, where everyone could see him. He casually leaned on the wall and crossed his arms on his chest.

"I think we should not waste time, since everyone is here, we can get the papers signed. The sooner the better." Veena's father spoke up.

Arjun did not make any eye contact with anyone and kept his gaze focused on the flowers arranged on the coffee table. So much had changed. The coffee table was not something he remembered. It was probably brought after he was gone. The paint of the house was different too. His mother liked roses in the vases, but that changed when Richa entered as his Bhabhi.

"Dad." Veena's shaky voice could be heard, but he did not waver his gaze.

"I don't want to do this procedure." She spoke up in a croaked voice.
He had his heartbeat falter for a moment and pulled out entire strength to stop from giving a smallest reaction. He stoned his face and forced his eyes to where they were.
But he could not miss the audible gasp and people around him, stunned into silence

"What? Veena? What are you saying? I
Asked the lawyers to work overnight and get the documents ready for you. Isn't this what you wanted?" Her father was the one to speak.

He could see her shaking her low hung head in denial.

"You said, the marriage was forced. We will get you out of this. All you have to do is sign. A few court visits and you will be free again." Her father coaxed her.

She shook her head and tightened her clasped fingers. She was crying by now and the tears flowed uncontrollably.
"No, Dad. I am not doing this any longer."

Samrat looked at Arjun.
"Did he threaten you?"

Veena looked at him and then back at Arjun, who had his face stone cold. All she just shook her head.

Samrat held her hands and tried to rub some warmth in them.
"You don't have to worry about anything, Veena. I am with you. We all are with you. Don't be scared."

Veena gently pulled away her hands and wiped her tears.
"I appreciate the support, Samrat. But give me some time. I have decided to not sign those documents."

Samrat looked at his cousin.
"Are you afraid of him? I told you, you don't have to bother yourself. No one will pressurize you."

Veena sucked in a sharp breath. Her father gently wrapped an arm around her shoulders.
"It's not what you think. I think... Maybe we are rushing into everything. I need some time to think through. I need some time to adjust to the fact. Please, Dad. I know I can turn to you when I need you. But now, all I ask is just some time. I will tell you when I am ready to sign it."

All her father could do was to pull her in his embrace and she broke down again in his arms.

"But.. " Samrat tried to protest and he was stopped by her father.
Samrat raked his fingers in his hair in exasperation.

The lawyers were asked to leave. Arjun for the first time that morning, raised his eyes to look at her. She too looked at him through her father's arms. His face was blank, devoid of any emotion. The stubble had turned darker than the night before. He blinked at her once and averted his eyes to look at his mother. His mother was caught staring at him. Next moment she turned around and walked away towards the kitchen.
Veena did not miss the visible flash of hurt and she was sure she did not mistake the gloss in his eyes.

Arjun stared at the empty staircase for a long moment, hoping to see the grown up face that he did not even had a chance to look at. All he had was a memory of  eleven-year-old that he put on the greeting cards for her birthday.
When there was no sign of his sister, he turned around and walked out of the house.

Bansi had stood by the window looking at the unknown car. She had seen the elder version of her brother, just for a flick of second as he stepped in and drove away.

His mother blinked when she heard the car engine. She had not even offered him anything to eat. She did not know if he had eaten anything last night. There was once a time when his days would start with a tall glass of milk.

But the times had changed. People had changed too. He was no more an innocent young boy. He had a demon dwelling within him all along. Previous day was proof enough that the demon had grown stronger and more hideous. She broke down bitterly thinking it was her own faulty upbringing.

She knew she would not have a heart to offer food to a monster like Arjun. She made up her mind that she would not care even when he comes back. She would ignore him as if he doesn't exist.

But a part of her waited for him to come back.

Arjun did not return.

--------------------------------

Another chapter up.

30 votes expected.
Vote and comment
Love.